Wagoneer exhaust, dual vs. single - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wagoneer exhaust, dual vs. single

I have a '79 Wagoneer with the 360 and an Edelbrock 4 bbl and 600 cfm carb. Wanted opinion on dual vs. single exhaust:

1) dual with 2.5 or 3 inch pipe, or
2) single exhaust with 3 inch pipe.

Will I notice any increase in mileage, loss of low end????

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 03:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wagoneer exhaust, dual vs. single

I am planning on trying the same thing and would like to know what other have tried. btw did you edelbrock carb fit on the stock manifold? I have a 750 edelbrock sitting on the shelf looking for a home. thank you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Had a 76 cherokee with a 360 3 speed(was 258)..put headers and pipes out in front of rear tires..sounded great..and got 15-18 mpg..(had 2 barrel carb though)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 05:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got an '84 J10. They both have the AMC 360 V8 in 'em. I put the Edelbrock 4bbl manifold, 4bbl 600cfm QJet carburator and 14" breather on it. Look for Edelbrock part#6881. It's a dual exhaustmade for our veh. Runs $505.39 at http://www.summitracing.com [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

...also try going to http://www.edelbrock.com and check out the performance package guide section. You can find an entire dyno matched performance parts list for the AMC 360 V8 with or without EFI. Then write down the part numbers and take them to Summit Racing [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img] (link in prior post by JeepJ10) and get the prices.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 10:39 PM

Waggies are tricky to outfit with dual exhaust because the gas tank on the driver's side is in the way. I toyed with the idea too but ended up going with the stock 2.5" single with a turbo muffler. I personally think that the 2.5" is large enough for a stock 360 and wouldn't think that a 3" would add any performance. Going with a larger diameter exhaust can actually work against you because of the lower velocities. This causes the exhaust gas to cool too fast and they become denser thus adding back pressure. I've done a bunch of research on exhaust systems and ran into a reference table that said that a single 2.5" exhaust is plenty for a 360.

If you are still set on dual exhaust, I would cut the Y near the bellhousing, weld 2" pipe on each end and use a single muffler with two inlets and two outlets, then run two tailpipes in parallel out the rear on the passenger side. If you're in a state with emissions controls, be aware that you could run into a problem with such a modification...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode