new to jeeps, need advice! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 02:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

new to jeeps, need advice!

Hey all, I just got my first Jeep, a 1980 J-10.

I really no nothing about the whole off-road experience, but Im trying to "cram" as much as possible before I start fixin' her up.

(this is long)

Ques. #1
The truck has a lift (4" I think), I have found the term "bump steer" to be quite accurate, how can I fix this w/o lowering any part of the truck. I plan on doing as much offroading as I can, and I would rather keep things nice and high, so I dont pour more $$ into a new (insert part here/stump puller).

Ques. #2
Is it possible to switch to independant front suspension, or am I thinking to far into it, and a straight axle will work just fine. (BTW, im in central NY, so I probably wont be crawling over/between big rocks.

Ques. #3
I THINK I have a T-176 tranny. I dont like it (for one, it wont go in first). Instead of spending a huge sum of money for tranny work, or the frustration of trying it myself with no experience, I figured I would try to find a T-18, 18A, or T-19 tranny in a yard somewhere. Which would you suggest of the 3 (or any other nice choice you know of). I like the idea of a PTO, and I would like to try to use one (or two) ports. I understand they all have at least one, and the 19 has 2??

Ques. 4&5
How can I tell which transfer case and which axles I have? What came stock on these Jeeps? I did find a (broken) CV style front driveshaft. Was that stock, or added with the lift? Would the stock axles/transfer case (or even the I6 engine) fail if I were to use/abuse it with 35" tires? I have some pretty worn out 33x12.50-15's on it now.

I'll let you rest for now... more questions to come, no doubt...

Thanks for any and all help.

J-Dime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: new to jeeps, need advice!

Here's the place to go to get answers. Please introduce yourself before posting a question.

International Full Size Jeep Association
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 01:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the link, I have already picked up some more info from that site, this should really help along the work.

Uhh, introduce myself?? Well, my name is Matt, this is my first Jeep, my previous vehicles have been an 86 Audi 4000S, and a POS Ford Tempo, so I have no experience whatsoever with a vehicle that wouldnt get stuck on wet grass in the middle of a flat yard. I live in NY, my current job would be producing parts for alternators that go in jet engines for the military, and some parts that go in big technical (and very expensive) "sparkplugs" for rockets that launch satallites for the military/NASA. And I like long walks on the beach....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 10:58 PM

I think they mean the want you to fill out your profile on your home page. So that way everyone can click on your name and get an idea as to your background, and what you drive.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 11:06 AM
Can't Get Enough

OOPS, that's what I meant, fill out your profile. Of course, introducing yourself is always considered good manners.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 11:46 PM
goofy289

check to see if your truck has a drop pitman arm installed.Incorect steering angles due to the lift are what causes the bump steer.
as far as the IFS,I would think you should be ok with the solid axle,you can get alot more flex than you prolly think.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 11:50 PM
goofy289

oh yea, check here for what parts you have
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/jpu.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode