What do these numbers stand for? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 10:56 AM
borntoboogie

What do these numbers stand for?

Ok, Here are the numbers off of my axle housings. Which are supposed to be D 44's out of a 78 waggy.
Rear:
US PAT
and
44-1

Front:
0-53789
and
30-1

Can anyone tell me what these #'s mean?
I bought a gasket for a front d 44 from a 78 waggy to day, and it didnt fit, I ended up having to get a gasket for a 66-67 v6 CJ5, and it says they are for spicer 30's. Could the front be a spicer 30 and the rear be dana 44? Both axles housings look identicle, and both have drum brakes. I checked the gears and when I divided ring and pinion I got 3.307, for both rear ends, so I do know the gears match
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 11:34 AM

Re: What do these numbers stand for?

By the numbers 44-1 and 30-1, you definitely have a 30 front & 44 rear. The other numbers can't tell me what you have. There should be a 6 digit number then a dash, then a 1. Thats the number you need to find. It'll be on the longer axle tube about midway towards the drums, facing the diff cover side (usually). Are they 6 lug or 5? If six, then they're waggy axles. If they're five lug, it sounds like you either have cj axles or Commando axles. What width are they? Waggy axles are around 58-60". I attached a file with all the BOM#'s. Just look up the number from your axle and it'll tell you what you have. Just disregard the -1 as the BOM's don't have it. Hope this helps!

Bill
Attached Files
File Type: txt 1088803-Axle BOM\'s.txt (43.2 KB, 19 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 10:35 PM
borntoboogie

I'll get those numbers tomorrow..

Ok I found a picture of a 2 piece rear d 44,

Mine is slightly offset, and doesnt have the caps on the end of the shafts for the nut.
Mine looks like this

also found a pic of a 27, and 30, Mine looks like a 27,

but instead of one joint bar for the steering, I have 2 seperate bars like the dana 30
My housing says 30-1, and I was told that is the model number, but yet the page I found these pics at said 30's didnt have closed knuckles. I also found a pic of a 72 jeep.

And it looks just like the jeep I got the axles from. Same color and all. with d30 front and 44 rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 12:00 AM

Is yours 5 lug or six? The old Jeep Gladiators had closed knuckle d30's in front & 44's in the rear. Also the 72-73 Commando had closed knuckle d30 front & d44 rear. Yours is a flanged d44 rear with 30 spline axleshafts. The one with the caps is a 19 spline 2-piece rear axle. Really worthless. The 30 front can be changed to disc's with most junkyard parts from a newer 30 axle or a mix of chevy d44 front axle parts and 78-79 cj parts. Hop over to the Jeepster board and do a search on front disc swaps. You'll find alot of info from there.

Bill
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 08:43 AM
borntoboogie

Mine are 5 lugs.
What would It take to convert the d44 rear to disc too?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 12:21 PM

D44 rear discs aren't hard to do. You can either buy a kit for around $299 which is complete, with instructions, or go with junkyard/auto store parts. I found a good source for the bracket to mount the discs at CRL Customs . They're only $10 a bracket. Advanced adapters sells them for $60 I believe. Then you need rotors, rubber brake lines and calipers.

Bill
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 05:03 PM
borntoboogie

I got the 5 lug, same as ford d44..... could I used disc brakes from a ford, to do the conversions?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 05:13 PM

That I don't know. You might want to ask a ford guy on their board. I've heard of using ford parts up front to keep a 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern, but never on the rear axle.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode