brakes and a weird axle?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

brakes and a weird axle??

hey everyone
so i my brakes are really soft and i got them done about 2 months ago. i can still brake there is no squaking or anything but i can push the brake all the way to the floor when i am stopped without using a lot of force. and it takes a little more time than normal for my '89 comanche to stop. Any reasons???

Another side question:
I put a 3inch lift on my '89 comanche and when i was supporting the axle there was some weird thin metal bar conected to the body and the top of the axle. it moved with the axle. does anyone know what it does. i can take a picture but it will be up later

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 06:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: brakes and a weird axle??

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Hey You know that weird bar thing That is your anti sway bar I would guess You ever see those quick disconects in the 4 wheeler mags ads well those Quick disconects attach to you anti sway bar and when you drive on the road you keep them connected and your rig will ride stifly level as in no sway side to side. When You get to the trail and need maximun articulation You quickly disconect the ceter of the Quick Disconects and You have use of 100% of your trucks articulation capabilities. Just ask any Rockhead he'll tell Yah! As for your brakes you might have air in your lines you will have to bleed them at the wheels. Good Luck and Have a nice day and tell em PhsycoJoe sent Yah!
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 03:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

no it is not the sway bar. There is a small bar that goes from the top of the axle to the bed of my truck. The bar moves up and down and it is a very very thin piece of metal not a sway bar. It doesn't stop my truck for swaying, it is so small that i will snap it if i play with it i think. The piece of metal is conected to a pivot type deal i think inseide the axle itself??? But thank you for your reply. I will try to get a picture up like i said but i just have to figure out how to up load them.

thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 08:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It is unclear to me... Is the thing metal thing on the front axle or the rear???

As far as the proble with your breaks. It could be a few things. I will assum that since you said you just had them worked on the breaks themselfs are fine.
One possibility is that the rear breaks are not adjusted correctly. Lift the rear of the truck on Jack stands. Put truck in gear, (Is truck auto) if it is auto put it in D, if it is Manual put it in 1st Low. Now with the rear wheels turning hit the breaks. The fronts are just sitting there so they will not change. But if you hit the breaks and the rears continue to spin... Bang there is your problem. Your rear breaks are not correctly adjusted. Get them adjusted.

Another question for you... Does your Ebreak work? If it does work, then chances are that your rear breaks are OK.

If that check test out correctly then move on to the next one. Check the break fluid. There may be air in your lines. The way to check/fix this is the bleed the break lines.
I think then you will be good to go.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok so i am a moron [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I went to my truck and looked at the metal rod again and it is conected to the rear and it is attaced to the bottom left of the back side. I have no clue what it is and my friend said it my be if the truck is lifted too high off the ground the brakes will be applied evenly or something like tahe.

Yea my e-brake doesn't work so is that effecting my brakes right now??

thanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Nobodies a Moron here. I realy would like to get a photo of this bar could you e-mail me a pic to [email protected] . It makes me think of air brakes on a semi Trailer axel. My Diagrams do show a cosiderable difference in E brake cable routing from the cherokees to your Commanche but I don't see anything of this mystery bar. We will get to the bottom of this rod. is it a rod or is it a flat bar? as for adjusting your rear brakes put the rear on stands take the wheels off pull your drums there will be a spur on an adjuster screw at the bottom of your shoes (pads) adjust it until you can't turn the hub freely once you can no longer turn the hub frelly BY HAND back the adjuster screw off one or two clicks so that you can again turn the hub freely by hand. putting a car in gear on the stands is asking for injury or seriouse damage. I hope that I have helped you on the brakes and I realy want get to the bottom of the mystery bar. Keep the rubber side down. physcojoe can't spell. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

here are some pictures
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1070630-DSC00767.JPG (61.6 KB, 70 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It turns out your friend was rite about the mystery bar. the mystery bar actually is the linkage to the Hight sensing proportioning valve. So you might want to lower the bracket down from the frame the same distace you lift the truck from the axels. basicly the hight sensing proportioning valve levels out the brakes from front to back so when you hit the brakes and the rear of your truck lifts the linkage actuates the Proportioning valve thus applying more rear brakes to bring the rear back down.
[img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 10:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for explaining what that thing is. But how do i go about doing that? And is that one of the reasons that my brakes might be soft?
Thanks again for your posts
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 12:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Forget trying to lower it. Take it off, and get a new prop valve. One that works the same all the time. I myself have never seen a truck tip over forward becasue of hard breaking. Get something that will work every time you want to stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode