auto to 4 spd - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 07:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

auto to 4 spd

What donor model would I need to transform my 89 Wagoneer to a 4spd? I know I will want everything from the donor including drive shafts, pedals etc, but can this be a "bolt" on project with the right donor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 10:39 PM
soundwve

Re: auto to 4 spd

I did the same thing to my '73 FSJ pickup. you will need the following:
1. The manual transmission. SM420 and SM465 GM 4 speed trannys are always a good choice for strength and gearing.
2. The bellhousing. Unless you want to use a stock Jeep tranny, you'll need one from a company like Advance Adapters , which can also supply you with the needed transfer case adapter.
3. The transfer case adapter. You'll need another one, unless you keep your New Process case, and the new tranny was equipped with a New Process/New Venture Gear case.
4. A flywheel. The flexplate that came with your auto won't work.
5. The clutchpack. I like the Centerforce series , although you could use a factory pack for your engine if the sline count matches.
6. The pedal assembly INside the truck. The assembly should be the same from 1980 to 1991, although I'd try to stay as close as possible to 1991. A 1987 J-series pickup should work. (Find a V-8 '87 pickup with a manual transmission, and you'll have almost all the parts!!)
7. The clutch linkage. It's your preference: hydraulic (modern), cable, or linkage. If its hydraulic, grab it from a full-size Dodge Ram pickup, '88 on. Otherwise, fabricate it.
Last, check the driveshaft length when you're done. the manual gearbox is shorter than the auto, so you might need a longer rear driveshaft. If so, grab one from the junkjard truck, or call Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts for a price quote. Or find a longer truck, like a Ford or GMC crew cab.
Hope this helps! (I went the junkyard route, by the way.)

[img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply.
Do you think a late 80's J series would be the best match?
Alaska! A friend of mine just bought a Hurst Jeepster form someone in Alaska; now to he has to get it to NC.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 03:25 AM
soundwve

A late '80s would be best, since the body assembly "variations" are going to be almost the same. For example, if you need to change your ignition "brain", an '87 would allow you to swap without too much trouble. You could use the wiring harness from the '87 as well, if it came to it. Aside from the electrical/emissions stuff, you could probably use any J-truck or Cherokee from 1974 on with a floor shift 4-speed and V-8. Just take your time and don't rush. It'll probably take about a week to get it together and de-bug it. (You don't even want to know how long it took me!) [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 04:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks again,
I've located a long bed J series truck; hopefully only the rear axle will be needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode