Questions on 2 door Cherokee wide track - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Questions on 2 door Cherokee wide track

One of these is sitting down the street from me in the woods with a snow plow on it, lots of rust, and flat tires. I'm going to see what the guy wants for it. I'll be honest, it's pretty trashed, so it's going to get parted out. My buddy has a 73 Javelin with a 360 and cracked heads, so we're hoping there's something under the hood that he can use.

First off, can someone clue me into the age range of it? Only things I know is it's a red 2 door, is a wide trac with the flares, 6 bolt steel rims painted red to match the truck, and the only badging on it is CHEROKEE and QUADRATRAC. I'm trying to get in contact with the owner, but he doesn't live there anymore.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

What parts are desireable? Nothing in it will fit my Ram I'm sure, so we're basically just looking to part it out to others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 03:14 AM
soundwve

Re: Questions on 2 door Cherokee wide track

Don't quote me on this, but I think the Quadratrac was available from 1973 to 1979. So its gotta be somewhere in there. If its got a plow, its got a V-8. Should be a 360ci or 401ci, the latter being available during the same time period. It also has an auto tranny, required with the Q-Trac. Open the driver's door, and look just below the door jam latch (not on the door). It'll be a black tag with yellow patches, with dates inside the yellow spaces for the year, etc. Or post the V.I.N. number (minus the last four numbers), and I can tell you the year. [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Okay, sorry for wandering off.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I checked under the hood. Has a V8, and the tag up front says it's a 1979 with a 360. It's pretty grungy in there, but it was obviously used hard and put away wet most of it's life. Still haven't been able to find the owner.

Happen to know if this engine would bolt up to a 727 in a 73 Javelin? Would parts swap between the 73 360 and the 79 360?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 01:52 PM

Middleville, huh? Wow... first I have ever seen mention of Middleville online [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

The engine should bolt into the Javelin. Likely emissions equip will be different... but big changes didn't really happen until the '80s. I don't know of internal parts interchange between those years... you could check here IFSJA

If it is 1979 and no one did swap or conversion -

The transmission is GM TH-400 w/case specific to AMC engines and long output shaft specific the Quadratrac (BW1339 w/low BW1305 w/o low) transfercase.
Axles are both D44 6 bolt wheel mount. Open knuckle (not flat-top) front w/disc brake and no locking hubs installed. Both axles have differential on passenger side.

1980 was change to TF727 transmission, NP-219 transfercase (still badged Quadratrac) w/driver drop front and centered rear output with change to AMC20HD rear axle.

Also check on the IFSJA site when (if?) you are ready to part it out...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Yep, we're out here...............not many of us though......[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Dial up through 30 year old phone lines sucks. 49k is blazing man! [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]

I'll definately get in contact with the IFSJA board guys now. My buddy sounds very interested in the engine, so I guess we go farther into the "project" now. Still gotta find the owner though. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, since you're in Michigan, check out my forum:
www.MichiganOnlineOffroaders.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 05:30 PM

I've been to the MOOffroaders site... a lurker so far.

I grew up in Middleville (mostly) but have not lived there for several years.
Good and bad about life in a town small enough to walk from edge to edge in less than an hour and most everyone knows who you are and the teachers remember your parents (as students) and you can be on first name "friendly" basis with local police and there are more hair dressers & bars than chruches and only one road speed limit over 25mph and lifted trucks outnumber lowered trucks and you actually can walk to school uphill both ways ...if you live on the right side of the river
Middleville is grown much recently... but still it is Middleville

good luck with finding the owner of that Cherokee. If you do... shouldn't be too much trouble selling off most of the parts & pieces - maybe even the whole thing minus engine.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I'm actually closer to Caledonia than Middleville, but that's what the mail address says.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Off by the corner of Parmalee and Whitneyville, near the river. I've always kinda been the outsider, as my parents moved here from the other side of the state before I was born in 78. Least that means I wasn't related in some way to half the school. I was pretty much free to date anyone there. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Happen to know if this TH400 would bolt up in place of the 727 in a '80 big Jeep?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 05:21 PM

IMHO - likely more hassle than is worth.
The transmission will bolt to the engine w/correct flexplate and torque convertor - which you will have from the '79.
The first issue is that TH-400 used BW-1339 t/c and the TF727 used NPxxx t/cases. Not interchangable so you would need an adaptor and new transmission output shaft or need to use the BW-1339.
The rear output of BW-1339 is offset to passenger side while NP cases are centered so drive shaft would run at side angle... probably not an issue given the length.
The really big issue would be that front output of BW-1339 is also to passenger side while the front output of NP cases are to driver side.
Would also need correct transmission mount. I don't know if the crossmember is different ??? ...but probably you could use the '79 crossmember on the '81 Jeep if needed.

My parents weren't born there either. That area along the river where you live is nice - I lived in several houses in and out of the village limits... and I've got you by about 10 years.

Any luck finding the owner?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Hmmm, already had an interest in the tranny, but the guy needed it for the 80. Sounds like it isn't a straight swap. Oh well, I'll offer it to him anyways. He can take the rest of it if he wants it. Provided I can even find the owner, the realator still has not returned my call.

Yeah, I really like it here. I moved back home while I learn to fly about a year ago, and it still amazes me how green this place is.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Of course, I was in San Diego, CA. I'm going to see if this guy on the west side of the river will let me wheel a little on his dad's farm. His father passed away and the farm has pretty much gone fallow. Other than hunters in the fall/winter, not much goes on back there.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Lotsa 2 tracks and farmer's paths.[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] We'll see though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode