Off Roading Forums banner

4.0L swap

974 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  sloop 
#1 ·
I am in the middle of swapping a '93 Wrangler 4.0L into my 1982 fullsize Wagoneer. I had to take off the brake booster to get it to fit because the manifold is so much wider on the 4.0L than on the 258 it had before. I still haven't gotten my engine lined up with the transmission but the brake booster is definately too close.

Has anyone else done this swap? what did you do about the booster? I might get an older manual M/C and just convert to non-power brakes.

G
#2 ·
Oh, Oh!! I've started a trend! (Yikes.) My 1973 J-4000 has a 1989 non-H.O. 4.0L in it. With mine the manifold is the same size as the 258ci I-6, just shaped differently. My brake booster is actually smaller than your Wagoneer's! I used the factory mounts for a 258 in mine. They bolted right to the 4.0. (I assume you used the mounts from the 4.0L donor?) Also, I did my engine frame "arm" mount like AMC did, with one difference: I put the steel plates lower on the arms than factory. By the way, the 4.0 is actually more narrow than the 258, so it can sit lower in the engine bay.
I assume you have an auto transmission. (I used a manual.) Hopefully, you won't have to relocate the crossmember. (I had to.) If you do have to ditch the booster, look for one off a newer model ('94 or newer) Dodge Ram 2500 or 3500 with a diesel. The power brake booster is the POWER STEERING PUMP!! (Yeah, amazed me too.) Just an idea.....

G
#3 ·
Almost forgot. Have you solved the problem with getting the fuel system to work? Namely the in-tank fuel pump? I ended up using a fuel tank and pick-up assembly/pump from a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 318ci (5.2L) V-8. These engines take a 75-85 psi pump to run properly, and I couldn't find any external pump that could produce that kind of pressure. Hope you have better luck, or more junked Rams in the local junkyards than we do. (This new tank and stuff was expensive!)

#4 ·
soundwve, thanks for your response.

The swap is done but not completely finished. I am running manual brakes right now. I need to post some pictures but I am pretty sure there isn't room for any type of power booster, even the hydroboost setups I've seen. I've started workin on a webpage about my swap:

http://www.paradise.raleigh.nc.us/mark/jeep/4.0swap.html

I used an inline fuel pump frlom Hesco but there are other sources for them..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.