Can you put 5.9 CumminsDiesel in a Grand Wagoneer? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 06:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can you put 5.9 CumminsDiesel in a Grand Wagoneer?

Ok,
I am looking at buying an 84+ Jeep Grand Wagoneer and into it I would like to put a 5.9L Cummins Turbo-diesel from an 89+ Dodge D250/350 4X4. What could really be better than putting the best engine in the world into the world's greatest 4X4! This would give you all the advantages of the great Jeep vehicle, manuverability, 4WD system, etc. with the benifit of being able to get 25-30 MPG vs: 10-12 and still tow any trailer you wanted unlike with the 258 I-6.
I have reasoned that the the engine bay should be long enough being as AMC did put their 258 I-6 in there and it is the same displacement as the 5.9 V-8. Weight will not be more than a few hundred pounds different if that. I know that it would have to be the non-intercooled model as there wouldn't be room for it between the grill and a/c cond. or rad and the plumbing for that would be difficult as well. For power, the 89 non-intercooled 5.9 made about 140hp which, if I remember is about what AMC quoted for the 360 V8 only the 5.9D makes approx 400ft.lbs @ 1600RPM, which is more than the 360 by a fair bit. Now Chrysler hooked this engine to a TF727,, same transmission and usually used about 2.73 - 3.08 so the road speed rpm will be about the same as when it was in a D250 4X4.
If I wanted a Diesel powered Suburban or Excursion, I would have one of those huge overgrown behemoths. What I really want the Jeep. So it looks like it is up to me to build it. I have been involved in other engine swaps before, but they were of the order of an engine that the manufacturer had somewhat designed as in a bigger disp and/or more modern engine/drivetrain. (With one exception, that was putting a 302 and AOD in a Volvo Coupe that formerly had a 2.8V-6 ;-) It killed Mustang 5.0's ... hehe). If anyone has made one or has any suggestions for how, better engine idea, etc, I would love to hear from you.
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 07:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Can you put 5.9 CumminsDiesel in a Grand Wagoneer?

Can you put a 5.9 in a GW... That is a pretty loaded qustion, And there really isn't an easy answer. Of course it is possible to put any engine in any truck, the question is how hard it is going to be and how much is it going to cost. The swap you are talking about probably going to involve a LOT of both.
I understand where you are coming from, because I am a diesel fan myself, but if I were you and I had the same objective I would swap in an AMC 401. For the same cost of the cummings swap you want to perform, you could probably get a used (old) 401, and rebuild it to put out near 500HP, and 400-500 Ft/lbs. Another popular swap is the Chebby 454. Or the Caddy 502. All of these would be far easier than a diesel swap, but they really wouldn't have near the "COOL" factor.
Good luck to you, and keep this board posted as to what you decide to do.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 04:10 PM

Ford+Cummins
<RB>A Cummins powered Jeep:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 08:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Wow, that is one nice looking Jeep. I bet that driving a little Jeep CJ,YJ,TJ would be a ton of fun with that motor in it. The only thing I can think of is that those things motors are so heavy, i wonder if it would throw off the balance of such a small rig. But I bet with some low gearing that little jeep could crawl over just about anything.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Official Historian

It's a 4 cylinder diesel so the weight difference to a V8 shouldn't be too bad.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Give me a couple of months and I'll tell you. I have sitting in my driveway a 86 Grand Wagoneer and a wrecked 01 Dodge 2500 Cummins TD 5.9ltr I6. According to my measurements it should fit. I'm currantly stregthening the frame in order to hold the extra weight of the engine as it weighs 1000#+-. I'm also having to put a 3in body lift on due to the engine height. I'm going to install the intercooler on it. It's going to be a tight squease. I don't have a digital camera or I'd get pictures.

When I'm done it will have 3in body lift, 6-8in suspention lift, 35in tires, and a 80-82in wide stance.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 09:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That will be Fantastic. Keep this board posted on that project. It sounds very cool, and I would love to see some pics of that set up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 12:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow,
I'm glad I seem to have generated some interest in this topic on here. I can't wait to hear how the 86 Cummins/GW project turns out. I'm happy to hear from someone like minded that wasn't happy just to put an even bigger gas sucking pig under the hood. I liked the other post with on the Cummins+Ford info as well, very interesting :-).
I had taken some rough measurements and figured it should fit but didn't take into account the engine height and wasn't sure with the oilpan, etc, becauase I haven't had the opertunity to actually have two side by side. So you figure it will need a 3" chassis lift to fit. So I will look forward to hearing more on this project as it progresses. BTW, where are you located at? How did you manage to acquire a 2001 D250, or is there some other unfortunate story about its untimely demise as I don't imagine you are tearing the heart out of the Dodge just because you can ;o).
My GW project will have to wait for a bit as I have picked up an 85 XJ Wagoneer with a select-track automatic 2.8L-V6. I got a good deal on it but I have to figure out something constructive for it as something wants out of the motor very badly but the body is in great condition. So that will keep me busy for the short term, but will like to be kept updated on the Cummins/GW for sure.
Dave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 02:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey mtbikerTi,
That diesel YJ is cool, do you or anyone know more about it? Being as I have acquired an 85 XJ Wagoneer 2.8L-V6 with a select-track automatic, I seem to have a new project and my own GW project is on hold. This is probably just as well, so we can see how Landscapers' GW project turns out. So I want to do something for this GM V6 it as it basically dead, which would be why I got it for a good price. Luckly the body is still in great condition and being a Wagoneer, it is pretty loaded. Options are to put another 2.8 in it, or perhaps a 3.1/ 3.4 as they are all the same 90*V6 family and would produce more power with little penalty. I like to figure out if there is any kind of a diesel I can put in it. I saw a posting for someone who has actually put an Olds 5.7L diesel V8 in one. Though, taking into accout the weight of that engine, as well as it's reputation, I question that choise. I think the smaller (read lighter) 4.3L diesel V6 version with the much improved heads and greater number of bolts that hold it on (that could even be turbochaged) would have been a better choise, if you could find one I suppose. What is the 4CYL diesel engine that is in the YJ and what was used for its driveline? I know this project will move to the small Jeep forum but before it does I would like to hear more about that diesel CJ ;-).
Dave
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm in Chattanooga TN. I purchased the dodge from a junk yard in Michigan and had it shipped(I got a good deal) Truck was front hit hard(telephone pole?). But luckily stopped just short of the engine. I had to replace the harmonic balancer, tentioner pully, and fan blade/clutch. Engine fired off on first try. I couldn't run it long as I had no radiator or intercooler but it ran [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The truck was 2wd so I have to get a tranny, tcase, and front axle. But I also have jeep and truck parts to sell/trade so it shouldn't be too much more expensive. I will try to borrow a camera and get pictures to post.

The engine will fit without to much difficulty the lift is more or less for tranny, radiator, and intercooler. I'm also going to attempt to put on a front and rear coil spring suspention but am not sure how well it will work out. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Eventually I want to run it up to 450-600hp but we'll see.

As for the reason: I love Diesels, my reg. driver is a 02 Chevy 3500 Duramax Diesel. Wish I could have that engine in the Jeep but couldn't find one for anything near resonable. So I'll have to do with a Cummins [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode