Brand new Waggy owner - some black Q's! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 03:21 PM
WhompBigJeep

Brand new Waggy owner - some black Q\'s!

Hey all,
I have had a 93 YJ for about four years and love it. Just bought an 85 Grand about a week ago as a family car (baby #2 on the way). I got a steal on it, and its in good shape but has many, many miles - 216k. I have NO idea of the history as it is an auction vehicle - but I have pretty fair mechanical knowledge and it seems solid.

My questions are thus - it has been starting a little hard, but running real well til today. My wife says it dies soon after starting and is releasing much black smoke from the exhaust. Any ideas?

Also, is the 360 worth overhauling/rebuilding or is there a good engine swap? I need this thing to be reliable and don't want to spend all my time tinkering, so I guess I'm looking for the best long-term solution.

Finally, is there anything I should know about keeping this thing on the road? Anything I should replace/rebuild from the get-go? I don't want my wife and babies getting stranded.

I'm sure I'll have many more question late - about half the stuff on the Grand actually works - but for now, I just need it to run!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 01:11 AM

Re: Brand new Waggy owner - some black Q\'s!

well i have a 79 fullsize with a 360 and i blew two pistons in the sucker and she would still start up and run so imo the 360 is a very dependable engine. i would just rebuild it if i were you
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 12:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Congrads on getting a GW. I think they are a very cool rig, and a good family truck. Super safe that is for sure. One thing to check right off the bat is the gas tank. make sure there are no leaks there. Rust eats them up.

It sounds like maybe you are haveing a Carb problem. Hard starts, and black smoke = carb prob. Black smoke usally means that there is too much gas. Running rich. And if it is starting hard, but then running ok you probably have a choke problem. If you do not know the history of the GW then a carb rebuild would probably do wonders. If it sat for a while then it probably needs it. A carb rebuild kit is only about $30, and could make a big difference. If that doesn't do it here is a test to see if it is the choke.

Pull the air cleaner off... Press the gas to the floor once to set the choke. Then look at the carb. Is the choke closed? Is it closed all the way? Then start the GW, and watch the choke as it warms up. Does it open pretty fast, and then run poorly. Manually hold it closed a little bit as it warms. Does that help. If so then you found your prob.

The 360 is for SURE worth rebuilding if it needs. They are good motors, and well matched for the GW's. And if you want a new motor in there getting the 360 rebuilt will be the cheapest way to go.

As far as keep up... Give it TLC.
The best thing you can do for an old 360 is to replace all of the vacuume lines. There are a lot of them, but vac leaks will drive you crazy if they start popping up.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 07:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Could head over to: http://www.ifsja.org into the message forum. Tons of addicted FSJ owners there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode