If I was to buy a Wagoneer... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 02:54 PM
WhompBigJeep

If I was to buy a Wagoneer...

What should I watch out for? And what years should I look at? Anybody have any advice?

I have a Wrangler for wheeling, the Waggy is for the fam. So my main concernes are - reliablity and fuel efficiency (ha ha, 10-13 mpg, I know). Any tips as I go check out these bad boys? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: If I was to buy a Wagoneer...

Check the frame along the gas tank, sometimes the drainage is poor from the skid plate and it tends to rust there, wiring is another common problem, check to see if it looks original or has been "modified". Check the air cleaner for oil, a common problem if the engine is producing exceesive blow-by from worn rings, valve guides, or if you are lucky a clogged PCV system. Rear main seals are common leak (fairly easy fix with the tranny in place, two piece) and depending on what you plan for mods keep in mind the pre 80's were TH400's passenger side drop,and the 80 and newer used the mopar 727 with drivers drop transfer case. Pre 80's swap to chevy or cad engines much easier. Also, non-tow package GW's will have 2.73 ratios whil the tow package will have 3.31 and maybe a trakLock.Check rear window operation.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 09:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

now if I was to buy a waggy I would tow one off for somebody for free drop my own rebuilt 401 into it. that way I dont have to worry about how it was treated. I would rewire it (which I did it was a pain in the butt) and how about that now its for sale lol anyway its a good family rig if you can afford the fuel for running around. by the way its for sale because the ol battle ax says that 6 jeeps is wayyyyyy to many lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 10:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you are looking at a GW check to see if the heat works. The blower motors are known to go bad, and in fact there were only a little better than bad from the factory. Take a look under it, if there is what looks like oil all over the place you may be looking at some leaking. They all leak, it is just a matter of how bad.
And if you are going to get a GW then I would say to stay away from the mid 80's they used a vac operated front axel. Vacuume is trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode