1973 J-20 and 1972 J-4000 Parts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1973 J-20 and 1972 J-4000 Parts

I was hunting jeep parts for my CJ7 at the junkyard, and have run across a 1973 J-20 and 1972 J-4000, and was wondering if anyone needed any parts from them? Within reason I could pull the parts if you need them. The J-20 has the dana 44 front and
dana 60 rear with a automatic transmision and I believe a dana 20 transfer case. The knuckles out are already missing from the dana 44. The J-4000 has a manual transmission with a dana 20 transfer case. I think it has dana 44 axles closed knuckles. Both bodies are very rough.
I hate to see good jeeps parts go to waste, so drop me a line if I can help.
Ethan
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 11:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 1973 J-20 and 1972 J-4000 Parts

I think that standard trans is a T-18. If I were you I would check that baby out. If in fact it is the very sought after t-18 it is worth a lot to the right person. And if it has the AMC bell housing then it is a real prize. A good t-18 in good shape will sell for upwards of $800 in some places. And if you have the bellhousing it will be even better. Good find.
I myself would love a D60 for my YJ, but I am pretty far away, and I think the J trucks had pretty wide axels.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 09:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Narrow range T-18 worth anything?

Thanks for the suggestion that I check out the transmission on the J truck. It turned out to be a t-18, but from my reading it looks to be a narrow range unit with the 4.03 first gear ratio. This is backed up by my not seeing a huge gear in the box for first. Is this actually worth anything to anyone? I know that I would personally be looking for a granny gear if I was looking for a trany.
Thanks,
Ethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Narrow range T-18 worth anything?

Im actually looking for the stub axles from the open knuckled Dana 44. Know what the $ is?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 07:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Narrow range T-18 worth anything?

It is true that the T-18 with the higher first gear is not as well looked apon as its low first brother, but it is still a strong trans. And would work well in a tow rig, or a work truck that doens't see much off road use. And to be honest 4.05 to 1 is nothing to sneeze at. But you will not get the money that you would if you had the low range.
I am not sure but you may be able to get a rebuild kit for the low range T-18 and swap the first gear. Somehting to think about. You can post questions about the 18 on the short wheelbase page and get a lot of good info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode