'78 Chief "Project" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 09:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'78 Chief \"Project\"

Hey all, a newbie here in the post... In july '02 i purchased a '78 cherokee chief for $150.00 not a bad find.. it has about a 4 inch lift... 31x10.5 inch tires (all terrain)... Its been sitting since 1997...but the guy took pretty good care of it..(xcept the paint on the pass side is faded...driverside good-thanks to the barn it was next to) I started it up and drove it home but here comes the question... after i got new furnature for the house im ready to start the chief, but im not sure of where to start....i imagine the engine needs some work...throttle is a little(ok alot sluggish) and it stalls quite alot...) is there a carb i can purchase that will fit the stock AMC 360 intake manifold? any help in restoring my beauty would be a help....JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'78 Chief \"Project\"

two or four berrel? I swapped out my two barrel intake for a four and put a 650 cfm edelbrock on it runs great now for a low 219 clams
oh yeah I have a few chief parts if you need them as the old lady is getting tired of the back porch being cluttered [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 01:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

definately take care of your engine first. Your problem may not be as big as buying anew carb rebuild kits are cheap. I had the same problem when I got my 65 waggie. (327-8 holley 2209) pull your carb open and check your accelerator pump. Mine was deteriorating and little bits of the pump was clogging my system. Also you can be amazed at what just cleaning and running it for a while will do. Change your fuel filter, air filter, etc. Do some minor maintanence first and find the problem before you sink 200 or 300 bucks on a new carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 08:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks alot guys...im going to look into a rebuild kit for now.. (know where i can buy more fix it skill?) The only part of the interior that needs fixin is the front seats are laying in the back...seats are all the way apart,every bolt undone...the floor was replaced, but seats were never put back in..and i dont know how they should look....if anyone could take a pic of thier chiefs seats... underneath so i can see what goes where...id realy appreciate it... pictures of my jeep are on http://www.angelfire.com/punk3/frogsplash
and my email adress is [email protected] thanks all...JJ
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The most useful fix it tool I've ever bought. Is my Chiltons repair manual. Go to NAPA and if they don't have it in stock they'll order it for you. It covers all models of cherokees, wagoneers, J series, FC series, and Jeepsters from 57 to 86. Part # 6739
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 03:08 PM
BigMan

I looked at your website but all I got was a black page with an ad and a green frogsplash title. That jeeps sound like a great find. just the type of thing I'm hoping to find. I'd love to find a nice chief for a decent price. I'd try to tempt you with money for yours if you were closer [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 10:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I would agree that chaning the filters will be a good thing. Take the carb off, clean it, and rebuild if it needs. Install a mechanical oil pressure guage so that you can keep tabs on things. Take the time to look over all of your vacuume lines, and replace any that look questionable. Nothing will drive you crazy like a vac leak.. Nip them in the bud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode