Dip Stick Problem<<-----UPDATE--->> - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Dip Stick Problem<<-----UPDATE--->>

Last night I went out to change the oil in and give the once over to my "new to me" 88 GW. When I got down to it I found some interesting things. There was no air filter around the carb, and I found a bunch of bird seed in there. Probably some critter setting up shop. Got that all cleaned up and moved on to the oil

THAT IS WHERE the problem was. I couldn't find the Dip Stick. Finally after about 15 min I discovered that the tube the stick lives in wasn't even there. It just ended about 4" after it exited the oil pan. Has anyone ever had this happen. And what kind of a job is it to Put in a new dip stick tube? I really have my work cut out for me I think, but boy it's going to be fun !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 08:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dip Stick Problem

A new dipstick is around $8 from the STEALERSHIP....

The only bad thing is.. it's a press fit into the block and can be done... I did it about a month ago...

it is best to remove the pan and back out the tube. Some have had luck trying to pry it out from the block , but I never have.

Once you have the old tub out... look carefully at the bend in the new tube... it must be aligned with the pan properly to allow the dipstick to full seat... if not you will be bouncing the dipstick off the splashguard built into the pan. This is another reason I like to remove the pan... proper alignment.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the advise RB. I think I am going to try and pull out the old tube and put in a new one today after work. I am going to try it without pulling the pan. If everything goes well (hopefully) I will leave the pan right where it is. However if I run into any problems I will pull the pan this weekend and put it all back together. I will be sure to post an update soon.
Thanks again for the advise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well I went yesterday to pick up my new dipstick and what I really needed "the tube" And when I got the box home all that was in it was a dip stick... NO tube. So I worked on some wiring instead. All of the ground wires needed some TLC. And after I finished with that THE BLOWER MOTER work! I thought it was done and I needed a new one. So that was good

After looking around, and poking in there I think I came up with a solution. I am just going to extend the stub of a dipstick tube that I have with some large diam bendable copper pipe. And just use a coupling with some hose clamps. THe only thing is I don't know how long the tupe is suposed to be.
Does anyone have any Idea where I could find the factory dip stick tube length??? Or does anyone know? Maybe is someone is doing a swap and has one out of a FSJ they could measure it? My application is a 1988 Waggie, but I would have to believe that the 360 used the same dipstick length for most ?
Thanks for anyone who can help me out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dip Stick -TUBE- Problem

oh man...I knew you needed the tube... and figured that's what you would have asked for... you can buy them separate as you found out....the tube and stick together are about $16 but you can get them separate....it's amazing what leaving a word out of what you need will get you... bummer.

See if you can bring it back for the tube...

I wouldn't advise the extension without knowing first if you are getting any blowing oil from it... when mine broke off.... I didn't know it until I was cruising.... the oil worked it's way up the tube and all over the header and left a beautiful smoke screen in my trails...hehehe.

If you extend the tube, seal it.... but then you may have problems inserting the stick with an inner lip to contend with at the joint...since the curves are needed.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

It wasn't too big of a deal. I didn't even have to pay for the new dip stick. I got it from a guy that just does work out of his yard. He has TONS of random parts. Sometimes he just can't find them. I will try the dealer next week. for the tube.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 12:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

had to replace a tube on my J-20 with a 360, I didn't have the tools available to remove the pan but I did have the tube in the back of my truck when the old one broke, three hours later I had the new tube in. it was a pain in the butt. would have been much easier I found later if I had been able to drop the pan down. make sure you have the brace at the valve cover to support the new tube or you will be replacing it again

It's a jeep thing most people dont understand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode