rear suspension - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rear suspension

I went ahead and had front springs made 2" over stock my next move of course is the rear springs. would I be better off with having the springs made 2" over stock or just having them made at stock and attemting a shackle flip. How much lift will ashackle flip provide in my case? looking for feedback thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 10:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rear suspension

ummm... for what year and model?

Instead of having separate springs made, you'ld be better off buying a suspension system.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

that was my first choice but I could'nt find a co. that makes a package for a 65. Rusty's for example only makes kits for 72 or later. But if this does'nt matter and they'll bolt up. It would be a better option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 10:39 PM

Despite Rusty's claims, his kit only works for '74 and later. The later springs are longer than the earlier springs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 06:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Seems to me that if you got the front springs made, and they went on ok, then mise well do the same in the rear. Leave the shackel alone, that way if you ever want more lift in the future, you have that option.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 09:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

oh ok... I didn't know is was a pre 75 FSJ... in that case you made a good choice....

Flipping the rear shackle on the post mounts will alter your pinion angle as well as the suspension operation.. causing it to flex up and back at an angle... this flip also will move your axle closer to the front of the rear well due to pivoting down fronm the front mount... I would just leave the shackle in the stock position.

The only way to do a proper shackle inversion is to relocate the frotn mounts lower on the frame to compensate for the inverted shackle...

I fabricated a shackle inversion kit for the 76-91 FSJ's and sell them... it was alot of work to get it all right...angles and what not.... my kit is designed to compensate the 6-7" lift gained by doing a SOA on the front... no blocks in are needed in the rear with my kit
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 06:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanx for the info guys. I'll keep my plan of having the springs made. This is my first FSJ so I'll have lots more questions in the future.thanx again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode