What to use from a J truck? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

What to use from a J truck?

I can get whatever parts I want from 3 J-10 trucks and 1 J-20. I can't sell anything from them. I need to know what parts I could use from them on my cj-8.

They have amc motors so I'll assume the trannies (3 manuals and one auto) will bolt up to my 258. Any idea what trannies these are? What gear ratios?

What transfer cases came in these trucks? Will my dana 300 bolt to any of the trannies?

What axles did these trucks come with? I'm fairly sure the fronts are dana 44s. I've heard of two choices for the J-10 rears, dana 44 or amc 20HD. Is that right? What makes the amc 20HD a HD? What is the axle width? The j-10s have 5 lugs, the j-20 has 8 lugs. I think the j-20 has a dana 60 rear and dana 44 front? Would it's dana 44 be any stronger than one from a j-10?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 03:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What to use from a J truck?

The J20's have a HD44 and D60. the 8 lug setups on the 44's are a little beefier than the J10's ...

the 5 lug 44's are 19 spline shafts are 1/2 ton and the HD44 is rated at 3/4 ton with 30 spline shafts... better choice there.

The gears can range from 4.11's to 3.54's if not higher. If it were me... take the J20 axles and the manual tranny (should have a D20 behind it)... though I like the TH400/D20 combo.... you most like would find a TH400/QT in there with the auto trans unless it's older than 74
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I prefer the lower gears of my dana 300. 2.61 vs 2.00 in a dana 20. Would the dana 300 bolt to any other trannies from these trucks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 10:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah with the proper adapter... I agree that the lower gears is the way to go...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 11:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The manual transmission is a T-18, you didn't mention if your rig is manual... if not you'll need a pedal assembly and clutch linkage.... plus it may require you to move your drive train back about 4" I believe (if you are lifting your rig that helps with the front driveline angle).
Take some measurements from the rear of the engine block to the output shaft on your rig and the trucks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Is the J-20 front a pass drop diff? Is the rear diff centered or how close?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode