1975 WAGON QT conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1975 WAGON QT conversion

The 75 wagon I have has a blown QT unit, I am unsure if the
Th400 (AMC) can be converted to accept a 205 transfer case ( same as GM unit). Also can I swap hubs,spindles
etc on the 44 in the front with a 44 out of a 76 blazer without
machining. I have the complete blazer so parts are close at hand. Thanks for any info!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 07:02 PM

Re: 1975 WAGON QT conversion

the 400 can be swapped to fit a 205 if you have the required parts from a GM th400 that came in front of a 205.

you must swap the tail housing, and the mainshaft

the front axle parts should swap, although there was a small bearing/large bearing issue in those years.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 08:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is very doable.. as stated you will need to completely disassemble the TH400 and swap to the tailshaft for the 205... the QT uses a unique LONG 10 spline shaft.

One other thing to consider is the driveshaft in the rear... the QT is offset to the pass side... so is the rear Dana44... the 205 has a centered output... make sure your shaft will clear the fuel tank. If the 205 is longer than the QT, you may run into problems with the shaft.

Also... you will have a compound angle on the rear shaft... vert offset and horizontal offset...if you get vibes, a CV may have to be added.

I swapped from the QT to a D20 on my 78 and needed the CV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why don't you do a spicer 20 swap...can handle 400 plus hp strong unit and will bolt right in... use your driveshafts too..76 and older wagoneers cherokees and jtrucks had em...I happen to have a 75 unit I am not using...just a thought...if you find an older one with the pin and trunion style u joint on rear output...pull yoke off your QT and change it...bolts right up then ..output shaft on trans is same on both..may need the adaptor from trans to transfercase...but I believe it will bolt up. I have one behind a 455 olds with 450 plus horses...no problems.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

D20 is not a bolt in swap for a QT... the adapter is different and so is the TH400 output shaft... the QT takes a 10 spline LONG shaft from the TH400 and the D20 takes a 26 spline short shaft.

The TH400 still must be disassembled and tailshafts swapped out... either way he chooses, it must be swapped

Also the D20 that comes from behind a manual tranny will not go on the TH400 without getting the appropriate input gear for the automatic...but that's a different ball of wax...

He has the GM case already...cheaper in the long run and just about the same amount of work to get it in...

As for the 44 parts swap... they will interchange..knuckles, calipers. spindles should all be the same... I've X-ref some P/N's in the past and were good for my 78 from like 74 thru 78 GM parts
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 02:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the information from everyone. I'm going with the 205 and swapping the front knuckles. I'm going to see
if the offset rear will work with a CV. I'll let you all know how
it's working as this unfolds. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode