Master Cylinder for a '65 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Master Cylinder for a \'65

I was wondering what you guys were doing to replace the single reservoir master cylinder. Is there a direct bolt in from a newer Wagoneer? Has anyone added a power booster? I did a search through all the post and found nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 09:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Master Cylinder for a \'65

I'm putting one in my '66 J 2600 right now. There are two ways to go about it:
1) The simplest is to remove the single chamber cyl and bolt in a later model dual chamber cyl (will directly bolt in) while also replacing the distribution block that all the lines run into (now you have two lines running into the block instead of one), bleed using the technique for whatever year block you install.
2) If you are going to add vacuum boost like I am, it is more involved. May as well pick up a dual chamber vacuum boost instead of the single chamber. Mine was off a '75 J20 (identical to a 1/2 ton '75 chevy), you will also need the aluminum block that mounts it to the fire wall and I will describe the process to fit it:
-with the single resevoir removed, fit the mounting block to where the resevoir was located. Note that the two middle bolts of the block will match the two (upper) holes where the cylinder was located. While holding the block with the two middle bolts located at the cylinder mounting holes scribe the center of where the other two bolts holes will need to be drilled through the fire wall. Where the rubber boot of the vacuum booster will go through the firewall you will need to file that opening wider, from the engine compartment you will see there is plate welded to the firewall that has an opening a little wider than that the opening in the firewall and you can just file the firewall open to match the plate to get enough clearance, check the fitment and you should be good to go.
I am replacing my dash with a later model and using later model brake, clutch and throttle pedals so with this set up it requires pulling the two cylinder holes down 1/4" prior to scribing and drilling the last two holes, fab a mount to weld on for the upper dash support, file out the throttle cable hole to a square for the firewall plug and drill 3 holes for the throttle pedal mount. I'm still monkeying with the setting up the late model steering column, but it looks like I can just drill to mount the newer firewall plate to the old one and caulk to seal. I'm swapping in power steering from a '75 also.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks, I found the proper parts after searching through Napa's website. It works well. You have the ability to see what vehicles shared parts by printing then comparing. I am also planning on replacing my brake lines with new ones from Classic Tube. They only have a set for the 69 and up but I believe they are the same except for the dual master cylinder which will work with mine once I get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I could be mistaken, but I pulled the front brake line, that runs up to the passenger side brake, from the '75 j10 I parted and it seems to me that when I was positioning it, to see how it matched, the other day that maybe the rubber brake line on the early jeeps mounts in a different spot than on the later ones. Haven't had time to check it out better. You might want to do a comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode