Rust bucket - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rust bucket

I just found this forum last night and think its great. I have a 1981 Cherokee Laredo. It has rust on the fender wells, door posts, tailgate, etc, etc, etc,. My question is do I fix the rust or try to find another Cherokee (or is that a pipe dream a rust free 81?). I really like the body style and the size is perfect for what I do. The paint is shiny (some jackass painted over the rust) and it generally looks good from a distance! Your opinions will be greatly opreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 01:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rust bucket

depending on the amount of the rust, sorry just cut up a rustfree body and scrapped it couldnt find anybody who wanted it. we have a lot of rust free bodies here on the west coast you might find one out here and haul it home to switch
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 09:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

When dealing with rust, it really is a matter of personal opnion. If you like the FSJ and it works for you then leave it alone. If you want to restore it and make it truly beautiful then fix it. The key is to not let the rust get too bad. If you see that it is starting to get out of hand in a spot you really should at least slow it down so that it doesn't get too bad and start falling apart.

One thing that you DO want to do is keep the frame well taken care of. If you see rust there, sand it, and paint it, and keep paint on it to keep the rust off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Darn! If you hear of another body up there reasonbly price let me know. I might could get there and get it. In Nevada it must be everyone is hanging onto theirs. In Las Vegas you don't see any for sale and in northern Nevada most of the ones I've seen have rust.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you have any rust abatement method you recommend? The frame seems okay but the floor pan has several places where there is noticible rust.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 08:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I live in Vermont, and we see a lot of road salt up here, so I deal with my fiar share of rust. What I usally do is take a wire brush to my frame, then use paint thinner on a rag to clean all the crud, mud, dust, and loose rust off of it. Let the frame sit for about 10 min to make sure it is dry, then I use a thick paint. (Hammerite) works great. And just brush it on as thick as I can, Do two coats. Hammerite can be put right over rust and it seals it in. The stuff works great. I usally do this twice a year. Once in the fall before the salt season, and once in the spring, right after the salt season.

For floorboard, if you are talking about the outside, or bottom, then I would use the same procedure, but if it is on the inside, you may think about cleaning them up real good and then using a bed liner, then you will never have to re do it. Good luck.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 03:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

will keep my eye open only thing I have for sell right now is a J-10 golden eagle that needs some work (had to rescue it from a non-believer)all tho I do have a small pile of cherokee parts left over from scrapping mine let me know if you need anything [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode