Quadra-Trac - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Quadra-Trac

I'm looking at buying my 3rd FSJ. I've previously owned an '83 Wagoneer, and an '85 Grand Wagoneer with Selec-Trac. I've heard and read too many different things on the old Quadra-Trac system and am left with several questions:

1. Are they unreliable? A lot of sources say that Borg-Warner chain-driven tx case is has a pretty short lifetime, but there still seem to be thousands on the road. To me it sounds and seems like a great system.

2. Are the front and rear differentials open? Most of what I've read says they are, but then there are some that say "all you need is one wheel with traction." These seem mutually exclusive to me, so what's up?

3. Are they pricy to rebuild?

4. Does the switch in the glove box lock the front, rear and center differentials together? This would explain a lot.

Thanks alot for any responses. Its been absolutely awesome surfing these pages so far.

-Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Quadra-Trac

1. The BW1339 QT has a bad rap... but alot of it has to do with improper maintenance...most didn't use the QT FLUID in the case which destroys the center diff and brakecones.
I LOVED my QT with fulltime use...even for a chain driven case it is a very dependable case if properly maintained. Chains for the QT's are around $125 and not too bad to change...

2. All fronts were open and most rears.. some opted for LSD. Since the QT had its own differential, it was imperative to have and open diff up front to maintain steering control since its a full time case. Part time conversion kits are made by MileMarker for around $450 to conversion to Part time which allows you to install a LSD or locker up front.

3. Prts for the QT are not that easy to find... except for gaskets, seals and bearings. The center diff housings were never made to be 'rebuilt' and no parts are available to replace the internals of the center diffs of the QT.. HOWEVER... http://www.willys.net/html/transfer_case.html has rebuilt QT center diffs.

*** since the axles diffs were OPEN and the QT center diff works as and OPEN diff...the QT would transfer power to the AXLE with the LEAST traction... so if you spun a front wheel, the QT transferred power to the front axle... this is when E-Drive would be a nessecity. I used E-drive as soon as I left pavement.

4. The E-drive switch in the glove box does just that... it locks the front and rear axle together for a 50/50 torque split with 100%lock. IT takes the QT center diff out of the equation.... It is intended for soft surface roads only.. driving in E-drive on hard roads can damage the QT unit.

any other questions, just ask....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode