360 Eldebrock upgrade?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

360 Eldebrock upgrade??

I Just bought an 87 Grand Wagoneer and am considering the Eldebrock Performer Package for the 360. My research has led me to believe that those using this "package" are generally pleased with the power improvements. What I haven't seen are any comments concerning the emissions aspect of this swap. In Maryland we are subject to emissions testing. No-one looks under the hood but its gotta be clean at the tailpipe. I plan to add the EGR intake and performer cam along with the carb. (Although Summitt doesn't list a "package" that includes the EGR intake). At the same time I'll do the TFI with MSD ignition and probably a hi-flow cat and muffler but keep single exhaust. So, has anyone run a 360 with this combo through a smog test? And how'd it do? Can anyone strongly recommend another way for me to go? I just want more ooomph as this thing will get a lift and some 33's and it seems to struggle to exceed 60MPH now. The incentive for this whole thing is lackluster power with small tires and 3:31's and a massive oil leak at the front of the 360 that looks as if it originate at the intake. I figure I gotta pull it to fix it and I see no reason not to upgrade at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 10:26 PM
Veteran

Re: 360 Eldebrock upgrade??

First off for your oil leak check and replace if needed the oil pressure sending unit by the oil filter. They are prone to cracking and leaking like crazy. Ive replaced a few of them and they will leak alot more than the front of the intake. The Edelbrock setup is great and is clean for most states but I cant say for sure about Maryland. I think however that you will get more of a performance gain from swapping gears. 3.31s and 33s are kinda pushing it. If they arent looking under the hood why not try the non EGR intake? I dont know how much difference it will make in performance over the EGR intake but you can trash the smog stuff and Ive never had them notice in NJ where we have to do a loaded test on a dyno now.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks for the info. The oil leak is somewhere up top. I have actual puddles on the top of the timing cover so I'm guessing it's coming out of the front of the intake. Valve covers seem to be OK. I checked and everything is bolted up pretty snug. The previous owner reported 1 quart every 350 miles so I've gotta fix this. I considered the non EGR but was concerned about passing smog without it. We have a chassis dyno test here in Maryland as well. You're right about gears but if I swap gears I may as well add a Detroit and an ARB while I'm in there and that starts to get into big $$$. My CJ does OK with a stock 258 33's and 3:54's so I'm hoping the extra ooomph I'm looking for will be enough for the Grand. I don't plan any major offroading for the G-Wag but I sometimes need to access construction sites way off the beaten path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 05:01 PM
Veteran

One more place to check for the oil leak is the o ring around the distributor shaft going into the front cover. They will leak as well and are hard to track down. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode