'74 Cherokee BAD gas smell inside - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 03:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'74 Cherokee BAD gas smell inside

Hey everyone,
I have a '74 Cherokee that I bought in February. As of right now, it is not driveable because I pulled the engine out (replacing the 401 with a new one)...but I noticed that it smelled really bad of gas whenever I drove it, or filled up the gas tank. I have checked most of the lines...some of the back rubber fill ones seem to have some small cracks in them, but I don't see any gas leaks. Anyone have any ideas about what's going on? The fuel system seems really odd on this truck, but I don't know much about cars, having only rebuilt one engine (my previous Suzuki Samurai) so far. Also, I have two gas tanks, with a switch that is on the floor next to the drivers seat...does anyone know the stock capacity for the stock tank, and the possible capacity for the auxillary tank? The aux tank is in the very back of the truck, I guess where the spare tire should be underneath? Also, my gas tank switch is broke, so I don't know what tank it is using... where would I go to get a switch? Also, the fuel gauge only works when it wants to..it is VERY sporadic!...anyone know what is causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'74 Cherokee BAD gas smell inside

The lever under the driver seat is most likely marked 'Low Range'... yo have a full time BW1339 Quadratrac unit... the lever engages low range...

the gas smell can be from those cracks or a few other things... check all the fittings... even the spare tank... check the lines that link the two to the system.... there is a line that is housed inside the driver's side quarter panel for and anti-roll-over vent... it could be clogged or cracked

I have a small leak at the filler tube when I top it off...it you don't have a vented cap... pressure may be building up and forcing the gas out of one of the various hoses.... check them good
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 08:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Riverbeast...Thanks VERY much for the info...I'm sorry for failing to put in my original post that the gas tank switch really is a switch, and not for lo-range...My lo-range lever is the cable kind that you pull out, it is to the right of the steering column on the front panel and says "lo-range" on it. The gas tank switch is actually on the floor of the car, and turns like a knob. Thanks for the info, I'll be double checking all the hoses, and most likely replacing them! Also, have you read or heard of the TSB about the "fuel vapor filter" problem or the "fuel system - odors after fuel tank fill-up" TSB? Here is a link, do you think that might be the problem?

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/04/740410AZ.html

-RoB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 11:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

another factor to consider is your floor. crawl uder her and check for rust holes and so on espeacialy around the rear fender wells. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode