75 Chief w/401 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

75 Chief w/401

Some questions?

I found a 75 cherokee chief w/ a 401 very cheap ($200.00) appears complete. I have searched and found several answers but my hangup is the quadratrac. Can I change this w/o a lot of hassle? Even with alot of hassle would it be worth it considering the price. My assumption is that I can just purchase all new running gear from a non q-trac rig. If this is the case which parts must I change?

Thanks
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 03:18 PM

Re: 75 Chief w/401

What don't you like about the Q-Trac? Does it not have the low-range option? You can get a part-time conversion kit for it if you'd like. You could buy a TH-400 to whatever-the-hell-you-want adapter, or you could swap out the transmission and transfercase with any number of other Jeep units. You could also keep your eye out for a stock TH-400/D-20 adapter (more common on CJs than SJs).
The T-18 4-speed manual and TF-727 3-speed automatic would be among the top of my list. If you went with the T-18 you can run a D-20 transfer-case. If you go with the TF-727 you can run a D-300. Both of these transfer-cases are gear-driven and have 4:1 and twin-stick kits available for them. The D-300 has a lower stock gear ratio.

If you change transmissions, don't forget to remove the little bushing/spacer/whatever on the 401's output.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 03:30 PM
BigMan

Re: 75 Chief w/401

the thing with a quadratrac swap is that both driveshafts drop off of the passenger side instead of the rear shaft coming straight out the back. this means the rear pumkin is on the passengers side too. the only other transfer case that drops both on the pass side is the dana 18 which was used in jeeps forever before the dana 20. it's a good enough t-case but since the shaft comes off the side it means it is gear driven so there is alot of gear noise from it where as a case that drops out the rear has no gears turning while in two wheel drive.
If you want a different tcase that the dana 18 then you need to replace the rear axle with one that has a centered differential. now, the th400 tranny it has is about as good as it comes but the problem is that it has a very course (and long) 10 spline rear output shaft for the q.t. so if you want to put ANY (even a dana 18) other t-case in the tranny must be disassemled and a new rear output shaft installed. the ten spline is also weak.
Adaptor kits for putting another t-case on there are pricey. around $500 if I remember right. But if you email parts mike ( www.partsmike.com )he sells stock adaptors I think I paid about $200 for mine but it was years ago. I just had to buy a seal. he gives you the rear shaft that needs to be put into the tranny. He is also one of the best guys I have ever had the fortune of doing bussiness with. He went way out of his way for me, I won't get into the story but he is great.My local tranny shop charged me $400 to rebuild my tranny and put the new shaft in it. I pulled and installed it though.
I have done this swap in a cj7. email me if you have any questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode