77 cherokee qaudratrac, what does it have, - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

77 cherokee qaudratrac, what does it have,

I am purchasing a 77 Q-trac with a V-8, I know it has a th-400 but don't know what axles are under it or how a Q-trac works? Do they have limited slip differentials? and what is this about wide and narrow trac?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 01:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 77 cherokee qaudratrac, what does it have,

Should be D44's front and back. The quadratrak is a chain driven full time transfer case. Not all have the gear reduction unit, if it does it will have a flag type lever under the driver's seat. This lever selects high and low range. The transfer case has a cone type limited slip that allows you to drive on pavement in 4wd. In the glove box you will find a knob that selects E drive (emergency). This "locks" the transfer case and you have traditional 4wd for wheelin'. One nice thing about this setup is the availability of low range on pavement. It's great for parking a trailer. Remember to use q-trak fluid in the case. If you find the prospective truck does not have the low range, it is easy to bolt on from a doner truck (get the rear drive shaft too). Check out ifsja.org for tons of info.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dana 44's on the 77 most likely have 3.54 gears, or 3.31's. the diffs are open due to the QT unit...the W/T axles are rougly 2-4" wider than than N/T... The difference in a visual aspect is the fender flares... the N/T bodys of the 2 and 4-door Cheros and the Wags and Grand Wags have a little 2" flare to them that is part of the body... the W/T flare are a WIDE 4" and start at the bottom of the lower body line just below the dorr handles... mine is considered a NARROW TRACK (N/T) as are all Wags and GW's the J'Trucks are all W/T that I have ever seen and the Cheros had the W/T and N/T(only in a 2 door model) and all the 4 door Cheros are considered N/T's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 07:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info River Beast, ironicly I was on your website lastnight looking around! The fender flares on this cherokee are large, it is a two door, but my other question is what engine should be there a 401 or a 360 and how to tell when stickers are gone?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 09:11 PM
Veteran

The size of the engine will be cast right into the side of the block in 2" tall letters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode