Torque Converter, etc. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Torque Converter, etc.

While in Arizona I bought an 81 rust free Wagoneer Limited. Yes, Arizona rust free but all the mechanicals are all cobbed up big time. Found out it was a 360 V8 originally but switched to a 1986 258 6 cyl and nothing is hooked up right. Drove it to Indiana and the gear ring on the torque converter fell off! (But I made it home to the driveway!)So now I can't start it. Prior it kept "chugging" in gear at stops and would die when I put it in gear to start out. It's almost impossible to get going in reverse. First I thought it was water in gas since it had no cap when I bought it but was later told by prior owner, two owners back, that the "locking" torque converter must be not unlocking again! Well, so now this gear ring falls off and Auto Zone is telling me it's not supposed to have the locking torque converter on a 727 torque-flite transmission. They say it's supposed to be a "non-locking" for $80.00. The vehicle is a quadra-trac with a new procees 219 transfer case and a 727 tranny. The 258 motor install is all cobbed up. The tech manuals say its supposed to have a modulator valve - can't find one on it. The linkage to the carb really looks goofed up also. It drove smooth on the hi-way but at take off from a stop, if it didn't chug and stall, (did it 80% of time), it would shift first, second, to third almost instantly. Could never get a road accelerated "kick down". Mostly I just ended up putting it in neutral at a stop, manually pull it into drive while feathering the accelerator to get it to go,then manually shifting it up or down as needed. What a junker??????? Anyway, what's probably the deal on the torque converter - locking or non-locking? Will the new converter come with the starting ring on it? etc., etc., etc. You won't hurt my feelings - I'm just partial to the Jeep looks. Have had a 73 J-20, 80 J-10, and an 88 XJ which I blew the tranny on in AZ pulling a trailer up a mountain - it's still in AZ. Geeze! Any thoughts or suggestions for my 81 Wagoneer problems??????? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 05:58 PM

Re: Torque Converter, etc.

it might be lockup converter, it might not be, youll have to look at teh input shaft to know absolutely for sure.

Most likely the kick down or throttle Pressure linkage is mis adjusted, thats the mess of carb linkage you were talking about.

It has to work right fot eh tranny to shift correctly, and the tranny is probably toast now, after driving without a properly working linkage.

the converter doesnt have the ring gear on it, the ring gear is on teh flexplate ( if its an AMC tf727, some chryslers I think used the ring gear ON the converter, not Jeeps tho)

a rebuilt converter should be $100, a Flexplate withthe proper balance for your 258 engine should be under $50 at any local autoparts store, Id get both, it sounds like its been swapped and hacked, Ill assume someone bought it for hte 360, and swapped into a CJ and youve got the Cjs original engine.

I think Leve ( Jeep moderator) has some diagrams of the kickdown linkage and how to adjust, I can only descriube the factory set upo, God knows what you have there.

your best bet might be to find a local Jeep buff, and pick his brain, and find a couple of wags to reference for how stuffis hooked up.

good luck!

feel free to email me if you have any specific questions!

oh yeah check out the IFSJA website

do a search, great wag info!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode