Torque Converter Question and engine question. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Torque Converter Question and engine question.

I have a 86 non-lockup TF727 with no torque converter. I am trying to buy one but everyone tells me I need to bring my old one in to match it up (which I don't have). I am guessing I need one without the ring on it as I have a ring gear on my flexplate. Then they also ask if I need a 11 inch or 12 inch. If anyone knows what I should ask for or knows of a place on the web where I can get a rebuilt stock one for a good price let me know.
Also a friend of mine is looking to put a AMC bolt patterned auto behind his 304. He found an old wagon in the junkyard that he claims had a 327 in it. He didn't look to see if the rearend was offset to the passenger side. I am guessing that the 327 is a buick engine (if that is really what it is) and won't bolt up to his 304. If I am wrong let me know. If it is a th400 with a dana 20 and will bolt up then that he can use (a 727 would work too but I think 80 was the first year for those). Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 09:47 AM

Re: Torque Converter Question and engine question.

I think the larger they are generally the lower the stall speed, and the more rotating mass, Id get the largest if those to assumptions are true

I ofund a rebuild local for my 727 years back from AMMCO ( they suck at trannys, but decent converters) loweest stall they had in the books, and it was $90 exchange, most shops will rebuild or exhange with you.

it has NO ring gear, and it has 4 bolts in what looks liek a square pattern, but is really off by a hair.

the 327 MIght be an older AMC engine design, its hard to find parts for, and I think is a different pattern than the 290-401 engines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode