Is this a deal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 03:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is this a deal?

HI- I spend most of my time next door on the Jeepster board, but decided to hop over here for some advice. I just came across a 1973 J4000 in rather decent shape. The usual parts and stuff; 360, 3spd auto, Dana 44 front and rear. All original, still has the original "JEEP" window washer fluid bag among other things. It has Power steering and Power Brakes, and the P.T.O. winch with the BEEFY bumper. It isn't in "perfect" shape, probably used on a local farm, but very little rust and the interior is immaculate. The guy is asking $1695.00. It does have some problems, needs new tires about the time I get it home, and the Driver's side Exhaust manifold has broken in two just behind the first port. It starts and runs fairly well, the last lot that had it sent it to a shop and it ran worse when they got it back. That could be anything, but I don't think it's serious. So, can anyone tell me if this a good deal? Or should I run screaming and not look back? I know a bit about Jeeps, especially jeepster Commandos (I have two), but am somewhat lost when it comes to the full size versions. Thanks for anything you can offer, I have to decide fairly soon if I want to go this route or not, I just want to do it with as much info as I can get. Thanks

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 06:32 AM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Is this a deal?

Rich:

Kinda depends on condition of the engine and drivetrain. If you feel confident it will run for a while without immediately needing rebuilds, then go to the library and check the Kelly and NADA guides for that vintage and make a low offer. I probably have the #'s at home, but unfortunately I'm holed up in Atlanta until Monday. Also, I remember that my "Standard Catalog of 4x4's" shows that on the Wagoneers, '72's still had Dana 27 fronts, '73's had Dana 30's and '74 and newer Waggies had Dana 44 fronts. Not sure about the J-4000's though. You might want to post at the IFSJA message forum at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ifsja.org>http://www.ifsja.org</a>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 11:16 PM

If it runs good and seems to be mechanically sound, Id offer somewhat less than that and make them talk me up. $1600 doesn't sound out of line for a good running 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive pickup.
You should have a Dana60 for a rear axle, not a Dana44. If it has the 5 bolt wheels, it probably has the semi-floating, Dana60-2. This axle has the big 35 spline, 1 1/2" diameter axle shafts. Very strong even though it is a semi-floater. This axle will have the numbers: 60-2 embossed on the top of the pumpkin and on the re-inforcing web at the lower right corner of the pumpkin has seen from the rear.
The tranny is the GM Turbo400 and the Tcase is the Dana20.
I had a 72 J4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey thanks! I have been hemming and hawwing about it for a couple weeks now. I probably will go back and make some ridiculously low offer, just to see what he says. I think your right, it probably has the Dana 60 rear. I've been so wrapped up trying to find a Dana 44 for my Jeepster that I forgot what I was looking at. The work that will be required, plus the fact that I will have to stop by the tire store on the way home, really drives my motivation down right now. I'd say I need another Jeep like I need another hole in my head, but hey, you ALWAYS need another Jeep. Thanks Again

Rich
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 10:41 PM

Need has nothing to do with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode