t-case and tranny swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

t-case and tranny swap

i have a 75 cherokee with a 360 and quadra-trac (th-400 and bw 1339). i'd like to swap to a manual. i was thinking about a spicer 20 and t-18 combo. i'm worried about the ring and pinion though. i'm not sure what the ratios are on the axles. they're either 3.07, 3.31 or 3.54, 3.73. if this doesn't seem to work i will glady accept in other thoughts, even if takes adapters. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 05:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: t-case and tranny swap

This is a real popular swap. You want to look for the T-18a with the granny low (6.01:1) first gear. I think you could bolt a Dana 300 up also (I'm not sure about adapting or spline counts though). The other problem that you will run into is that the Quadra-Trac rigs have a slightly offset REAR diff. If you wanted to keep the auto, you could swap the tailshaft from a GM TH-400 and run an NP-205, another good T-case. You would need custom driveshafts, and you would still have the rear offset problem, but it's another option.

Phil
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 11:32 AM

why not use a T18 and a dana/spicer 18 Tcase, its offset rear output also, the dana 20- tcase has a centered rear output.

Ive known a few folks thru the years who have used a center output tcase on that offset rear axle, and say its been fine.

it just ads another angle to the joints life though.

start looking for the proper flywheel now, its hard to find the factory ones used any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 06:39 AM
blackjeep2002

I replaced the QT in my 78 with a D18, although I kept the TH400. This is not a bad swap, you end up paying for the tranny to tcase adapter, driveshaft mods, and you have to remove and tear apart the tranny to install the new output shaft. It is really not that difficult, you can do it yourself in a day if you have the tools to tear apart the tranny. Either way you go (auto or manual) you will end up paying about the same, I think. With the manual, you will need all of the clutch linkage and assorted items. Good luck!
Keith
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You probably want to find the FSJ T18a Dana 20 for 360. There is a 6" adapter between the bell housing and the T18 to postion the shifter in the center of the tranny pan. The 6 cyl does not have the adapter and it would put the shifter under the AC vents. Also, I wouldn't worry about using the Dana 20, the dana/spicer lists the same part numbers for the QT and dana 20 rear axles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode