Lifting a Gladiator? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 10:19 PM
cocco_78

Lifting a Gladiator?

I've been searching posts on several sites and found that there are no lift kits made for these trucks. I've got a 69 J4000 that I would like to lift. Have any of you guys found springs that are similar enough to use? Remember that J truck from the Tremmor movies? How the heck did they lift that? I'll probably just go a 3" body lift, 33's and call it a day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 02:32 AM
soundwve

Re: Lifting a Gladiator?

For a lift kit for a '69 J-series, I'd look at the '74-80 J-20 springs. (4 Wheel Parts has one.) You could also look into custom u-bolts and add-a-leafs. OR, find a M-713 and get its spring packs. (military J-series)
By the way, what you have is most likely a J-3000 (1 ton) with J-4000 side plates. (Was it bought used?) The J-4000s (1.25 ton) were the end result of the American Motors Corp. buyout of Kaiser Corp. in 1970. They were only offered from '71-'73, and were discontinued due to slow sales and general "lack of interest". (American Motors Corporation's own records, obtained by Chrysler Corporation in 1984.)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sorry to be a know it all, but for the sake of the full size virgins, i would like to correct a few things. first, the j-2000 and 4000 designation have nothing to do with weight rating, only wheelbase. the 2000's were swb and the 4000's long. second, it is an m715, not m713. also, newer j seris springs will not work, as the front springs are wider on the newer trucks. in addition,the best lift i have found is scout 2 springs on front withe jeep main leaf, and wagoneer springs in the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 06:55 PM
cocco_78

So the Scout II springs are the same width then for the front (or close enough)? What year Wagoneer springs for the rear? I will also do a shackle flip in the rear, and probably keep the stock springs as they are in very good shape.

And yes it is a J4000, and it is a designation for the lwb. Dauntless 350, 3-speed.... No D60 rear [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 10:48 PM
Veteran

I'd stick with springs for the lift and avoid the body lift, theres no real benefit as far as travel from a body lift. By the way I must admit I watch Tremors whenever its on just for the truck.
Dave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 10:55 PM
cocco_78

yeah, I didn't really want to do a body lift. I'm not using this truck for wheeling, but I still don't want a body lift. I'd rather do something with the springs. I've found some Scout springs allready, looks like stock hight springs may provide enough lift... And it should sit pretty level if i use the rear shackle flip with those springs. I may find some 2-3" lift springs for the front and make my own spring packs. Then do the shackle flip in conjuction with maybe a 2" block instead of stiffening up the spings with an AAL...

Yeah, that J-truck in Tremors kicks [censored]. The guy right across the street from me has a 63 J2000 with the same step side bed, I6, 3speed, for sale... $800 obo....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 04:07 AM
soundwve

I stand corrected.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 08:21 PM
brendan

so I have this straight, you lifted a 73 j10 by using the stock front main leaf with a scout II pack beneath it leaving the spring under axle. you lifted the rear with stock wagoneer springs?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 05:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the springs on the pre 74 TRUCKS ONLY are spring over from the factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode