lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 02:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

lift

I am looking for about 2 to 3" lift but I have heard of block, springs, add a leaf. Want I am looking for is to raise it up for riding on the beach which is what I use it for. This would also ease the hosing down to get under it to get rid of salt and such. I also use it for towing. I don't want to sacrifice the stability or safety. It is already fairly stiff with the stock suspension, but not bad. It would be also to have the lift for towing a trailer as the original is fairly low to start with. thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 02:53 AM
soundwve

Re: lift

What kind of lift depends on what you are using it for, and what model this truck is. (You didn't specify what model your truck is.)(I'll assume it is a Full Size Jeep (FSJ).) Will this truck see rocks or serious loose dirt? If not, and all it'll see is beach and pavement, you might want to consider a body lift. Either 3", or 2" and longer spring shackels. If it'll see rocks, sand dunes (desert), or some nasty dirt roads, consider a 3" lift that replaces the entire spring pack. (Or get wild, and go 5".) And bigger tires.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 05:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I WAS READING YOUR ADVICE ON LIFTS AND WAS WONDERING WHAT MANUFACTURES YOU HAVE FOUND THAT MAKE LIFTS THAT ARE 4"-6" FSJ. MINE IS A 82 WAGONEER AND I'VE ONLY FOUND ONE FROM SUPERLIFT. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS. ALSO, I PLAN TO PUT 35X12.50 TIRES ON IT, DO YOU THINK I NEED A BETTER THAN STOCK REAR DIFF. I PLAN TO USE IT IN THE MUD POSSIBLY ROCK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 06:23 PM

If your going with 35" tires, you might as well go SOA up front, and flip the shackle in the rear. This should net you about 5" of lift and you don't even have to buy new springs. Steering modifications are the hardest part.

Your axles should hold up well enough to 35" tires in mud and other loose conditions. I'd be wary on high-traction terrain like rocks though.

You also should look into re-gearing to 4.10s at least to keep the power up to spin those larger tires.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 01:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rusty's off road makes a 4 and 6 inch lift for the 74 to 91 FSJ's thatis reported to ride pretty good. If you just want a little bit, like two inches or so, an add a leaf may be a good solution. Generally an AAL will stiffen the ride a little, but a long AAL is less stiff than a short AAL. Rancho has a 3 inch lift available.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 10:02 PM
soundwve

Skyjacker makes a 4" lift kit, but they charge extra for shock and the rear spring pack (either blocks or add-a-leaf is included.) Also, if you're going to run 35's, you might look into a disk brake setup for the rear axle. Stainless Steel Brakes has a kit for that.
By the way, for a 6" leaf spring kit: use a 4" kit, buy longer brake hoses, and put the axles UNDER the leafs.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 11:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE SOA CONVERSION FOR MY LIFT. YOU MENTIONED THAT THE STEERING COULD BE COMPLICATED. DO I NEED TO JUST EXTEND THE ARMS THAT ATTACH TO THE WHEELS OR IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I NEED TO DO?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The SOA will yield 6-7" of lift depending on your perches. Brakelines can be still stock if you use drop-down brackets in the front...and for the rear you can pull more line thru the frame and shim up the 'T' on the axle with a few nuts on a longr bolt.

If you SOA with stock springs, you can get away with just a 4" drop pitman arm to correct the steering with minimal bump steer if any.... that's the easy way out with no other mods needed... I did high X-over steering... I had no choice with 4" Skyjacker Softride springs and the SOA. I had to get a pre 76 GM flattop knuckle, high steer arm and 3" BDS spacer for my draglink to be just right. Now my main steering tierod is still under my springs and my draglink in over the top to the passenger side knuckle.

If you SOA the front the rear can be lifted in two ways... one is with blocks and I HATE BLOCKS!!! The other is my 7" Rear Shackle Inversion kit that I make and sell for 76 thru 91 FSJ's

For more info and details... visit my FSJ site at
http://home.earthlink.net/~riverbeast/RB_Kustoms/

Any questions you have... feel free to email me...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 04:38 PM
Veteran

You dont really say what you are driving or what size tire you are lookin to run. I used full length AALs for a little lift and to stiffen up the suspension on mine and was able to fit 31 x 10.5s with a litlle clearancing on the rear quarter panel. Depending on your gearing I wouldnt go much bigger and expect to tow that much. I pulled 4000 lbs regularly w/o problems but it would work a little harder climbimg up steep grades.
<-<-<- heres a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 840469-83wag.jpg (82.1 KB, 23 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 04:39 PM
Veteran

the attachment not the XJ- sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 840473-83wag.jpg (82.1 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode