'66 Wagoneer pre-purchase questions. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

\'66 Wagoneer pre-purchase questions.

Hi, I am a visitor from the Jeepster site. I am considering purchasing a '66 Wagoneer, and would love some help from you FSJ guys. I haven't seen it yet, and the ad doesn't have much info other than "runs good, excellent condition..., etc." (I have only been able to speak to the wife, who knows nothing about it).

I'm not sure which engine it has. Either way, I would probably want to swap something else in eventually because I assume the I-232 is probably underpowered, and the 327 is difficult to get parts for. Are there any easy engine swaps for this vehicle? Since the I-232 is the predecessor of the 258, that seem like you could swap in any later AMC V-8. Is that correct? Also, does the AMC 327 share the same bolt pattern as the later AMC V-8's (so I could easily swap in a later AMC V8)?

Is the TH400 trans the BOP or BOC ("round top") tranny? I am guessing it is BOC, since that is what came in the Jeepster. If thats the case, I should be able to get factory adapters to go to a Buick 350 (same adapter used on Jeepsters with Buick 225 and the TH400), or a later AMC V-8 (using the adapter from a 72 or later Commando). Does this sound right? If it is BOP, then I understand that there are inexpensive adapters to go with a Chevy V-8.

I know I would want to convert to front disks (I've done this on my Jeepster's D27). Other than that, anything else that would need immediate attention if it is only going to be used for light off-road use?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 11:46 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Re: \'66 Wagoneer pre-purchase questions.

Hi Dave:

The body on my '70 Waggie's body was so cancerous, I found a '66 that had no engine, tranny or xfer for $100 and put it on my '70 chasis. It originally had the 232 from the factory, but looked like somebody did a cheesy job to fit a SBC in it later in it's life.

I agree that the 232 would be under-powered. A beefed up 258 could drop right in if it has the 232 now, but I think FSJ's should be V-8 powered. I also agree that if it has the AMC 327, I'd replace it when it's time is up. It was introduced by AMC in 1957. It does not share the same motor mounts or bellhousing as the 304/343/360/390/401 AMC V-8's.

If it has an automatic, it's the same BOC "round top" TH-400 that all Jeeps had up through '73 with the applicable adapter for the motor installed. If it's a manual, then my books show it's a three speed, but doesn't specify which one. The I-6 had a different manual tranny than the V-8 had.

I think it would be easier to convert to AMC V-8 if it has the I-6, as I've heard that you only need to change the driver's side motor mount. Perhaps Advance and Novak can help with Adapter info.

You could always go the SBC route which could be cheaper initially, but require more time, engineering and money to make it work properly.

Might want to hold out for a '69 or '70 w/Buick 350 V-8, then you're in similar territory as your Buick V-6 Jeepster.

If you haven't seen the International Full Size Jeep Association's site, click: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ifsja.org>http://www.ifsja.org</a>

Let me know if I can be of further help.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply. I still haven't gotten any more info on this Wagoneer.

What I am looking for is a project that would end up being something for my wife to drive. She likes old cool cars (she practically made me buy the Jeepster). I thought a old Wagoneer with a newer engine and would be a great car for us. For simplicity, it would have to be 1973 or earlier because that makes swaps easier in CA since don't have to smog them.

When contemplating swaps, I was thinking that a mildly built FI Buick 252 would be pretty cool, and it looks like you would be the guy to talk to about that. If I could get the adapter that was used between the Jeepster V-6 and the TH400, that would allow me to put in any Buick V-6 or the 350 V-8, right? The 252 wouldn't be a powerhouse, but might get a little better milage. What vehicles would be good donors for this engine?

I will also keep my eyes open for a '69 or '70 with the Buick 350, that seems like the easiest way to go, like you said.

Are you sure that the 258 and AMC V-8s would bolt up if it comes with the 232? I can't seem to find this out on the Web.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 07:00 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Dave:

A FI 252 would be quite a project. You'd either have to fab one up using the FI components from a FWD 3.8L or buy and install a Holley Projection. I'd stick to a Q-jet myself. Personally, I would not reccomend a 252/4.1L V-6 as they were only built from '80-'84 and parts that are unique to it are expensive. Stock compression is 7.9:1. I shaved the heads and block to get mine up to 8.3:1, but it was expensive and a headache to find pushrods that would work. My 1st 4.1 motor lost its' thrust and took out the turbo crank. Big bucks went into that engine to build it, then more $ to try and fix it to no avail. Wound up getting another 4.1 and rebuilt it for more $ and it seems to holding together okay. I'll always be nervous about it though.

You are correct in assuming that if you get an adaptor from a Jeepster w/TH-400, you could mount a Buick 231/252/350 to the BOC TH-400 tranny. You would need to address both motor mounts. A Buick 350 would be a better choice, IMHO, than a Buick V-6.

If it has the AMC 232 I-6 and you want simplicity, then just swap in an AMC 258 I-6. They are the same block externally. Just don't expect to be able to tow the Jeepster with it. I have seen on the SWB board many times that when converting from AMC I-6 to AMC V-8, only one motor mount needs to be changed. I think it's the driver's side. A search over there would yield more info.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy hunting.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 05:03 PM

Hi Dave I'm also from the jeepster site. I have a 68 Wag with the Buick 350,but alas I see you are on the wrong coast. I got it free and wanted the auto trans but don't think I'll use the engine. Reading some of the posts here it is tempting to fix up the Wag but I really want to finish the Jeepster (to be honest I have three)Maybe I'll search the Jeepster site for 350 transplant info. Good luck.Joe Golden
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

About the engine switch I own a 65 wag with the 327 and at times it's a little difficult to get parts for. The longest I've waited was 9 days for a water pump. It to me is well worth the wait I love my 327.If you do swap engines contact me I'll buy parts off you. If you even buy/bought the vehical.But I love mine she never fails to impress me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode