89 Wagoneer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

89 Wagoneer

Hey everybody, I have a friend that just bought an 89 Wagoneer with the 4.0L and 160,000 miles on it. He says that it runs fine on the roads. He says that it also does fine when he steps on the gas normal, like to take off from a light but, if he is at a stand still and he tries to tap the gas ( to inch forward or back ) it dies. It does not stutter or hesitate, it just dies.

What are your suggestion to the problem.
Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 03:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 89 Wagoneer

Probably want to ask this question on the mid-size (XJ) board.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your friend's '89 GW must be a 5.9L V-8 with 2 barrel carb, as that's all Jeep offered with that year GW. I've restored a '90, and love it, but still have trouble with my rebuilt carb. Take my advice, and don't screw around with the old carb. Get a rebuilt one! Even then, they're real pigs on gas, and have very small tanks. Mine is only 16 gals. Anyway, this summer I'm going to put some sheet asbestos UNDER my carb to insulate it from the heat of the engine. Jeep told my mechanic that this is the only way to help with hard starting, when hot. I could write a book on restoring this vehicle, and I've done quite a few.
Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

He said Wagoneer, right? That would be an XJ Wagoneer Limited with the 4.0 , right? The G-Wag (SJ) would have had either a 5.9 V-8 or the 4.2 I-6 (earlier models only). Gotta love Chryco Moniker Strategy.

Phil
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 12:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You'r right - My stupid mistake - Chris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 12:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My stupid mistake - Chris
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 03:57 AM

Sorry the rest of the people are stuck in FSJ land. Most likely the stepper motor on the throttle body is dirty and needs cleaned. Take the air inlet off at the throttle body and then remove the stepper motor. Most likely the "button" at the end of the motor is dirty and sticking to the seat. Take some carb cleaner to the surfaces and the throttle body as well. If you check I'll bet you have oil in the air filter housing. Also check to make sure the air filter is sealing in the housing. Most likely it is not and the result is burnt rings, excessive blowby, oil in the air filter, and finally a stuck stepper motor.

Another possibility is vacuum leaks. 4.0s do not like vacuum leaks, but are prone to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode