1979 Wagoneer?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1979 Wagoneer??

I'm considering the purchase of a 1979 Wagoneer that I found at a local car lot. The odo says "79,000" but I dunno if that's correct or not. (I've only looked at the vehicle once so far) Doesn't appear to have any rusted out places, paint looks good, (it's dark green, with the fake wood stripe) --it's a auto trans, 360 cid V-8.
I intend to have a mechanic check it out if I decide I want it. They're asking $2000.00, but I may be able to get 'em down a little....
Anyone have any suggestions about what to look out for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 03:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1979 Wagoneer??

Look for the usual stuff . . . oil leaks (rear main seal especially), check for blow by on the #7 and 8 cylinders especially. Look for a lever almost under the driver's seat by the transmission hump, If it is there it has a low range t-case (may not, but it is great if it does). Since it is an auto it should be a Quadratrac (BW 1339) full time 4wd. Look in the glove box. There should be a round switch that activates the 'emergency drive' for the Quadratrac, see if that works (on loose road surface only). Tranny is an AMC cased TH-400, good tranny. For $2k, the interior should be in pretty good shape and the paint decent. Look for rust/frame rot in between the gas tank and frame (the skidplate traps mud and junk up in there, very bad ju-ju). Typically the rear quarters behind the wheels are rotting either on the inside or all the way through, so check for bondo in that area. I hope that helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 03:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for your response to my question about the Wagoneer.
I'm still considering buying it. (Been kinda busy and haven't had a chance to really check it out.) That switch you mentioned is there. I don't think it has that low range t-case, tho. I'm wondering what kind of gas mileage I might expect. I'll probably be driving it to work & that's about a 30 mile round trip, so it's not a big problem. I'll let you fellers know if I become a REAL jeep owner!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 03:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

8-10 mpg is pretty typical, I get 12 running a full Edelbrock Performer package (Intake, Cam, 1405 carb, etc) commuting 70 miles roundtrip daily. With fuel injection I've heard reports as high as 15-18mpg.

Good luck on your purchase and keep us updated!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 11:29 PM

So, what's the news?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode