need help to identify Waggie Axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 10:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

need help to identify Waggie Axles

Hello, I just want to thank you up front for taking the time to read this. I have a 79 CJ-7 that I want to convert to dana 44's front and rear. However, it's a little more tricky for me because I have the Quadratrack system. There's a guy named Will on the short wheel-base BBS who has already done this on his CJ with QT. He said that I need to find narrowtrack, dana 44's (front&rear), that came from a Wagoneer with Quadratrack also. I 've found someone in a different state who has a 1974 Wagoneer with QT. They said that I can buy just the axles, and they will ship them to me. The problem is that neither one of us knows what axles are on it. Does anyone know if there was a "standard powertrain" on 74's with QT? If not, can anyone help me figure out what's on this Waggie before I have them shipped to me. Thanks again. Respectfully, Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 12:41 PM

Re: need help to identify Waggie Axles

your front axle doesnt have to come from a QT wagoneer, they are all the same as long as its 1975-1979, I say 1975 to make sure you get disk brakes and dana 44 in front, they used dana 27 or 30 and drum brakes for some time before that.

also all wagoneers are narrow track, if it has 4 doors its narrow track, the rear axles are offset in teh QT trucks, and thats what you need, BUT some of the other drivetrains ( in fact most) were offset as well.

basically have the guy measure the distance from teh differential ( center section) and length down each tube to the brake backing plate, and see if it will fit.

its very likely though that shipping hte axles will be cost prohibitive.

basically you need a front axle from a ANY wagoneer 1975-1979
and an offset rear axle ( most) from a wagoneer 73or so to 1979 ( they used 5 lugs before 73 I think)

youll need new wheels, youll need to outboard your front spring hangers, if your state requires tires UNDER the fenders youll need WIDE flares.

grab the steering from teh wagoneer also, the linkage will come in handy either for replacement pars finding, or for custom fabrication.

BTW WILL doesnt have a front 44 YET, only a rear from a wagoneer converted to 5 lug.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode