How to install Add A Leaf - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How to install Add A Leaf

I have a 1983 cherokee. I have just bought a used 4" lift. I think the front will be easy but have many questions about the back. The back lift consists of blocks and an add a leaf. First off, the block is not even, it is wedge shaped. Should the thick end be to the middle of the vehicle or the opposite. The next question has to do with the add a leaf. I have had several suggestions to leave the springs attached due to the difficulty in removing them. How do I take apart the pack of leafs and how do I pack them back together? Is there some tool or something that is needed to do this. I have been unable to find directions online. Any idea on where I can get detailed directions and/or pictures? I would greately appreciate any help and please remember that I have never done anything like this and so try not to skip any steps, no matter how small.

Thank you,

Lantana121

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 03:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How to install Add A Leaf

The thick end should go towards the rear. You can slide the add-a-leaf in without removing the whole springpack. Support the jeep by the frame and remove the axle u-bolts. You'll see a small bolt with a nut in the center of where u-bolt pad is. undo the nut and the springs will separate. You may have to hold the bottom of the bolt with visegrips if it starts to spin. undo any clips that may be holding the springs together and you can slide all hte leaves out without removing the main leaf. Put the add-a-leaf in between the next smallest and next largest leaves and bolt it back together. only thing bad about add-a-leafs is they make a harsh ride.

Chris

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How to install Add A Leaf

Thanks for the info but I have a few followup questions. You say to undo the 'clips'. I assume you mean the things that look like straps that hold the leafs together. How do I put more of those on? Do I need to put more back on once the add a leaf is in? In the add a leaf, there is a hole in the center and also a hole between the center and one end. Does another bolt go there is that just left open in this situation?

Lantana121

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode