86 grand Wag Carb nightmares - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 01:06 PM
Chip

86 grand Wag Carb nightmares

Okay,

I've got an '86 grand wag and it has serious carb issues. First of all I don't know much about carbs so I've been relying on other mechanics. I'm told that the carb was rebuilt before I got it and it was done poorly, so I had it rebuilt again. It still runs so rich that there is black soot upon startup and you can smell gas all the time. It only gets about 8 miles per gallon. So, what can I do? Is there some aftermarket carb that will bolt on? Fuel injection? I'm willing to spend some $ to make it right. The rest of the rig is mint, it's my last problem.

Thanks,

Chip
86 Grand Wag
73 Commando

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 86 grand Wag Carb nightmares

I saw on some other posts a link to his site that may help: http://www.customefis.com/amc360kit.html

'84 GW
'93 Wrangler
Houston
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 06:47 PM
soundwve

Check with Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com). I know Holley makes two EFI retro kits that fit AMC V-8s.

1973 J-4000 pickup "custom"
(built-up EFI 4.0, SM420 4sp, Dana 20 t-case, Dana 44 HD front, Dana 60 rear)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 01:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chip,

The problem that you run into when you try to replace the carb on a 360 is the fact that it is a 2 barrel, spreadbore intake. They are kind of hard to get an aftermarket carb to bolt up to without adapting. While EFI is a great option, it is expensive to the tune of $800.00. While certainly worth every penny, you might have a little easier time on your wallet if you go with an aftermarket intake manifold that allows you to put on a 4 barrel carb that is readily available from most manufacturers.

The Edelbrock Performer Package is very popular (that is what I run) and can be had for about $500.00 new or less than half of that if you can take some time and pick up the parts from ebay. You can get the egr manifold if you need to maintain emissions and go with the 1406 carb to have the electric choke. Check out Summit Racing.

That being said, you really should be able to get the Motorcraft Carb running right. 8-10mpg is about typical on a stock set-up, however most guys usually run lean (to the point of having ping problems actually). I don't know who rebuilt the carb for you, but if they had probs you might try another shop or see if there isn't an IFSJA member close to you that could give you a hand.

I hope that helps

Phil
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 12:46 PM

goto autozone and buy a replacement Holley2300 series 2 barrel carb, I did this years ago on a cherokee with a 360, and it cost me $183, it bolted on, all of hte fittings and lines hooked right up, the tranny downshift linkage took a couple of washers and about 5 mionutes of head scratching, but seriously I had it running in about 2 hours.

and it performs SO much better, it makes alot more power, and it mkaes the gas pedal actually feel like there are more than 3 positions ( idle, half, and wide open)

the Holley actually has a variable throttle!

supposedly the Holley isnt very good offroad, but i had that truck sitting on its tailgatea few times and it never sputtered.

also it shouldnt be too hard to fix that carb you have, its a $30 rebuild kit, and a couple hours even if youve never done it before ( I went this route also)
before I found out the throttle shaft bores were leaking, thats why I swapped to the holley.

just find a decent mechanic, or do it yourself.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 08:22 AM
Chip

Thanks for all the replies, you guys just rock. Okay, so the way I see it I have 3 options, 1-work with the current carb , motorcraft 2150 right?

2-Go to EFI or 3-go buy a Holley 2 barrell and bolt it on.

Let me ask this, do any of you know of a good resource on working with the current carb? All I need to know is how to make it run more lean.

Thanks again,

Chip
73 Commando
86 Grand Wag
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 04:58 PM

well, turn teh idle air mixture screws in until it sputters ( one side at a time) and then back a little.

if the power valve is blown itll puke gas inside bypassing the metering.

also look for fuel seeping around the rod that holds the throttle butterflys on teh sides of the carb, if its oily or looks like its been seeping, then its a pain to fix them or find another carb to start with.

also, if the float isnt set right itll likely have some problems unless you have a better working bowl vent than most FSJs do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode