Overheating problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 10:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Overheating problems

I have a 88 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 in it, i've replaced the heater core, water pump, thermostat, all the water lines and just had the head worked. I had the head worked cuz i found water in the back two cylinders. Well today I put the head back on and I still have a overheating problems and its still spitting water out of the water tank. Does anyone have any idea on what could be going wrong with this thing. I know a enough about cars too get me by doing things like i've done but now it's getting a little to tricky for me. I read on a website to drill a 1/16th size hole in the thermostat to relieive air pressure but that didnt help either. So if anyone has an idea please email me thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 12:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Overheating problems

Ask this question on the midsize board.

"Every form of refuge has it's price."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Overheating problems

If it's spitting water really bad, or if you see bubbles even though the system is purged, you could still have a leaky head gasket, or worse, a crack in the bolck or head, causing the cylinder pressure to pressurize the cooling system. One way to verify this is to take the vehicle to a station with a smog sniffer and hold it to the radiator filler neck. If it detects combustion gases, that could be the problem. Was the motor rebuilt or bored over in the past? Teh thinner cylinder walls cause more heat to be wasted to the cylinders, thus it will run hotter. The cure for this is a bigger radiator or cooling fan. You didn't mention anything about the radiator. I would have it boiled and rodded out first. Hopefully, that will cure it, and if the fan is electric, make sure it works properly.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode