Hurst Commando - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hurst Commando

Anybody heard of a Hurst edition Commando? I am looking for production numbers and any other information I can get. It has a build date of July 1970 but is registered as a 1971 model. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Hurst Commando

In a nutshell, the hurst commando was nothing other than a '71 commando with some of the Hurst goodies such as striping, hood scoop and tach, and shifter. Only 100 or so were made and they are all automatics. Exterior color is white.

Chris

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 12:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chris,
That is all the info I keep getting. Nothing specific. Seems to be hard to get anything defenite. I figured it was a stock Commando since it has the 225 V6 in it with no performance goodies like other Hurst cars did. I'm wondering what options for other motors for it. I would like to put a V8 in it but don't want to spoil the authenticity. I put a 231 V6 in it for now and I have the original 225 set off to the side of my shop.
Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 04:36 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

The Hurst production #'s varies depending on the source. Nothing concrete was ever documented, or at least saved and made public. To say the least, they are quite rare, but really, the differences are only cosmetic, (stripes, tach and air scoop in hood, Hurst shifter and wide tread tires). The Hurst could be configured with either automatic or manual. The auto had the Hurst Dual Gate shifter and the manual had a Hurst T-handle shifter. If you're interested in its' value of being a Hurst, you need to keep it bone stock with the 225. If it's worth restoring or in good enough of shape to restore, then it might be a sin to build it into a wheeler. If it's in less than very good shape, then build away and enjoy it as any other Jeepster. If you want to drop in a V-8, the Buick 350 will bolt-up to the tranny and engine mounts you have now. You will need a larger radiator and move it forward to accomodate the additional bank of cylinders. For more info, jump over to the Jeepster-American Jeepster Club board here at ORC.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2002, 05:05 PM

I know Hurst did a very limited number of specialty IH scouts that were way cool! They had a custom top, and al the Hurst goodies. Of course, lots of manufacturers did things like that back in the early-mid 70's. Now all you get is plastic crap from the dealers.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 06:22 PM

i ran across some info today regarding the hurst commando it seems that the corporation was to make 500 but in fact made less than 100 units in 71 so i would guess it is pretty rare found the info in an old issue of jpmagazine

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 01:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey 3Jeep guy, Do you have the article on the Hurst Commandos? Could you email it to me or send a copy or a specific date and publication so I could find it? I would like to get as much documentation as I can about it. I figured it was pretty rare since I have been around vehicles since I can remember (I'm 48) and I have owned and driven everything under the sun since I was 9 when I was given a 55 Pontiac Safari by my parents. I didn't know that there were less than 600 made. I have paid attention since then. I don't do it to get rich, I just like different things that are rare.
Thanks for your reply, I hope you can send me the info on the article you referred to.

Scott Storch

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 10:46 PM

i read about it in the april 2000 issue of jp magazine i have somewhere it was the issue that had the writeup on the marski collection they have a hurst commando as well in their collection you can email him at [email protected]

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 12:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an old road test article of the Hurst commando in a vintage copy of Four Wheeler ('71). I can scan it and email it to you if you like.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode