Short wheelbase needs full sized help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 12:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Short wheelbase needs full sized help!

A few questions/situations:
1. I'm replacing my 258 4.2L with the 360 because, well I'm sure ya'll know about the 258.
2. Did Jeep supply the waggie or grand waggie with a D-44 out back? What year(s)?
3. How do the waggies auto trannys hold up and/or compare to the stock TF999 from the YJ?
4. I'm trying to get it all in one package so the best of all worlds would be nice.
All in all I would like a junkyard(grand?) waggie with a D-44 rear (35 front?), the 360(will bolt right to my tranny), and possibly a tranny that will hold.
A website that anyone knows of will also work. I can get an 85 waggie for under 800 bux at the yard. Will this include what I'm looking for? It's a good buy either way. Thanks a lot guys/gals!
Tim

'88 YJ, 4.2L w/Weber 32/36, Procomp 4" w/33 BFG M/T's, TFI upgrade, Stock auto tranny and everything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Short wheelbase needs full sized help!

that 85 will have a 2bbl 360 with chrysler torque flite 727 tranny with np229 fulltime or a 208 part time. the front axle is a d44 the rear is a AMC20 with 1 piece axles.

anything mounted in a FSJ is overbuilt for a YJ

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 08:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

To answer you question about the auto trannys..... they hold up quite well... The TH400 and 727 are good trannys... I run the TH400 with no problems at all.

The rear Dana 44 came in the FSJ back in the 60's as a 5 bolt pattern and 19 spline axles.... they later beefed 'em up to 6 lug and 30 spline in late 73 thru at least 79 for as far as I know.... the rear diffs are offest to the right... some slight and more so on the TH400/QT setups from 74-79

Are planning an entire drvetrain swap? engine to axles?

78 Wagoneer

14" total lift
4.89's/Lockers/39.5" Swampers
http://home.earthlink.net/~riverbeast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yah I'm pretty much planning a whole drivetrain swap. It's gonna be slow but I'll make it there eventually. Everything will get a rebuild(done by me) and I hate to say this but I'm not gonna wheel it until it's all done. Obviously you say?...I actually am going to swap in the rebuilt engine and tranny at the same time, and then wait a little while so I can rebuild the difs and stuff'em with gears and lockers. So until completion I will drive it nicely and be a wuss about it. Still haven't decided on the shafts yet. Suggestions? Aren't the 80's models of waggies fitted with 27 spline(maybe that's just at the tranny?)? Thanks for the help!

'88 YJ, 4.2L w/Weber 32/36, Procomp 4" w/33 BFG M/T's, TFI upgrade, Stock auto tranny and everything else.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2002, 05:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah the 727 output to the NP229 is a 27 spline, not sure about the axles.

What probs have you been having with your 258? Just curious.

Phillip J. Van Why
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 03:23 AM
soundwve

First thing, I'd forget about a NP 229. They are junk. Second, the best setup to look for (I think) would be a '74-'79 Cherokee or Wagoneer. Nearly all of them were equipped with Dana 44F front axles and Dana 44 rears. Another good V-8 would be the AMC 304. Reliable, with good power. AND SMALL!

1973 J-4000 pickup "custom"
(built-up EFI 4.0, SM420 4sp, Dana 20 t-case, Dana 44 HD front, Dana 60 rear)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 01:10 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

That would be small internally. Externally all AMC V-8's, (290, 304, 343, 360, 390 & 401), are the same size.

The 304 would be less thirsty than a 360, but less powerful as well. I would not bother swapping a 258 for a 304 as the 258 is a very torquey motor and the gain would hardly be worth the effort, but a 343 or larger is another story.

A built 258 can be a very respectable motor for a SWJ. If the YJ were mine, I'd rebuild the 258, possibly with a stroked crank for more displacement if I could keep the comp ratio below 9:1, use an early vintage stock grind cam, Offenhauser Dual Port intake w/Quadrajet carb. Then run 4.27 or 4.56 gears in the axles for 33" tires. You'd be surprised how much power you'd have and avoid all the re-engineering that's needed for the Waggie powerplant/drivetrain conversion.

Now with that said, I notice you live just north of me, so I'd first find out what you will be required to do for vehicle emissions. Not sure of what's the rules up north, but in So. WA, it's just a tailpipe check with specs set of the original engine's emissions. The advantage of a 30 year old or more vehicle is no more smog checks, that's why I love really old beaters/Jeeps.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 02:12 AM
soundwve

You forgot the head. Add a 4.0L H.O. head to the mix. Then you'll have a 258 worth bragging about!

1973 J-4000 pickup "custom"
(built-up EFI 4.0, SM420 4sp, Dana 20 t-case, Dana 44 HD front, Dana 60 rear)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode