New to big Jeeps - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

New to big Jeeps

Hi folks. I'm in the market for a Jeep. I was looking exclusively at XJs at first but I don't want to exclude its larger cusins. Could Somebody tell me about some of the older body styles? What is a J3000 for example. What is the best way to lift one of these beasts? Company's that provide lifts? all and any info would be greatly apreciated. Thanx, Norm

I sent my machinist's kid to college!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 05:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New to big Jeeps

Are you looking for a wagon style body or a pick-up style body? The J-series (J-10/J-20/J-2000 etc.) are pick-ups the numbers specify 1/2 ton 3/4 ton etc. If you are looking for the larger version of the xj you would be looking for either a pre- 1984 Cherokee (two door), 67-84 Wagoneer (four door) or 84-91 Grand Wagoneer (four door luxury). Motors vary (especially on the early models) but the 258 inline six and the amc 360 v-8 are prevelant.

Aftermarket: Lift kits are available from Skyjacker, Rusty's, etc. Most lift kits are offered in either a kit or a system. One has front replacement springs and rear blocks, the other has replacement springs front and rear. Rear blocks=stock ride but limited articulation. Rear springs=harsher ride but better articulation. Body lift kits are available from a couple different places. Killer32 makes tubular bumpers, though most guys make their own.
I would avoid pre-1975 vehicles as they tend to not have as much available (all around parts and aftermarket) and require more custom fabrication to make things work unless you have good welding/fabricating skills tools.

I hope that helps
Phil

Phillip J. Van Why
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanx for the update Dive30. I would definately be looking for the Wagoneer or the Cherokee then. Norm

I sent my machinist's kid to college!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 08:37 AM

check out http://www.wagonmaster.com. good place to start for wagoneers....if you have a money tree. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jon

'95 Cherokee Sport
'73 Commando
'00 Wrangler - sold
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 10:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If its a Cherokee or wagoneer you want, I think your best bet is a '74-'79 model. '74 is the beginning of the 401 V8 and also it's the earliest year that you can get an aftermarket lift for. The frames and some axle part were beefed up in '76. '78 was the last year for the 401 and anything after '79 has the closed loop emissions feedback carb and computer.
On cherokees, there is a narrow and a wide axle model. The fender flares are the giveaway. All wagoeers have narrow axles. You may hear terms like cherokee "S" or "Chief" or wagoneer "custom". These just indicate the trim package. there's nothing really different about the drivertrains other than the setups offered. the chief is the top-of-line and it usually is fully optioned out, followed by the "S" model. The factory drivetrain that offroaders seem to prefer is the 360V8/4spd T18/ Dana 20 transfer case. These were offered only on the Cherokees and trucks. Hope this helps.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode