gas milage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

gas milage

I have a 1988 GW. Any suggestions on improving gas milage? Now, I am averageing 10 mpg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 03:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: gas milage

Sell it and get an XJ.

YOU NEVER KNOW TILL YOU TRY
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was averaging about the same with my stock set-up. It depends on how much $$ you have to spend and how good of shape your motor is in. If you are near time for a tune-up, I would for sure the TFI upgrade (good for up to 14mpg)for your ignition. You can also replace your EGR valve (unless you don't need emissions stuff, then you can look at eliminating the nightmare of vacuum crap under the hood) as they have an anti-ping kit that really is an improvement. I upgraded to the Edelbrock Cam/Intake/and 4v carb and MSD ignition. This is a lot $$ though. I do however, have a lot more power and get a minimum of 12mpg. The next step from there is EFI where guys are seeing 14-18mpg. I guess (if I had to keep emissions) I would start with the EGR kit ($14 I think) then go to the TFI (go to ifsja.org under the tech section) $80. From there you can look at the MSD 6A ignition ($132.00 from Summit), MSD Blaster 2 Coil (28.50 from Summit), Edelbrock Intake (EGR or Non-EGR) ($170.00 from summit) and Carb (240.00 for 1406 600cfm w/ electric choke from Summit), cam/lifter kit approx $120, roller rocker set-up $250.00, and finally EFI for $750 up (depending on if you go with Throttle Body or Tuned Port). I know that's a pretty long answer to a short question, but the point is that your options are limited only by your wallet. You could even look at swapping your 360 for the 258 inline six, add on the 4.0HO heads and TPI and you would be making more horses than a stock 360, lots of torque, and maybe 20+mpg! I hope that helps.

Phil

Phillip J. Van Why
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where do you get the anti-ping EGR kit??

'84 GW
'93 Wrangler
Houston
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 06:36 PM
soundwve

Buy a Subaru!!

1973 J-4000 pickup "custom"
(built-up EFI 4.0, SM420 4sp, Dana 20 t-case, Dana 44 HD front, Dana 60 rear)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 01:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK . . here is a link to a write up on the 360 ping problem and the part numbers to fix it. I hope this helps

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.ifsja.org/tech/motors/ping.shtml>Ping Tech Article</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode