Isuzu Engines and such - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Isuzu Honda Discussion of all Isuzu, off-road vehicles and clones (Honda).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Cool Plans and a few more questionshoses and such, Will it be easy to know what doesnt com

I will swap out for some royal oils here in the drive way but if I purchase a new crate engine instead of opting for the overhual kit will i still need to buy my own new vacuum hoses, EGR valve, Oxygen sensor, PCV Valve, or the engine & transmission mounts, or will I be okay with the crate. Also how is hagling with engine shops. can i convince them to go lower somehow, or is it a pretty solid pricing system. The tire that came on it are in great condition with aggressive tread pattern, so i dont think i will change em for a bit. i probably wont add a lift either because in comparison to the s-10 and f-250XLT i learned how to wheel in, it feels top heavy. I love to sidehill, and dont want to push my luck. Also, we just started house shopping. the houses we are looking at all have nice shop/garages, so i may attempt the install over the winter. My father works in a VW restoration shop, and has access to people with import engine skills. Thanks again. Will post more as my project progesses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Cheap Insurance

When you mention a "new crate engine" do you mean brand new never used or do you mean "new" as in overhauled a used engine to as new specs?. Yes you should purchase the following product brand new:
--Vacuum hoses, engine & transmission mounts, EGR valve, PCV valve,
--Oxygen Sensor,etc. (You don't have to buy them if the parts are in good condition; however, I really do recommend you replace them, it's just cheap insurance. You don't want to have any problems after installing a new or rebuilt engine!). As far as haggling with engine shops go, that's a tough one to call, some shops will have fixed prices yet others will SOMETIMES reduce the price, even if it's very minimal. Some things you could do to reduce the cost, since your dad works in a shop....is you guys could pull the engine out and take it to the machine shop then after it's overhauled put it back in and add all the new hoses, emissions equipment and mounts....that alone will save you some money because rebuild shops charge you to remove & reinstall the engine. Or you could ask your dad to recommend a shop to you since your dad has contacts, they could reduce the amount you pay!!. Insted of the overhaul, you could remove the old engine install the new one and replace the required components with your dad's help. Top heavy, I know what you mean my S10 Blazer feels that way it's only got 30" tires but it takes me to some pretty awesome places!!. Good luck on your home shopping, the garage is the most important thing (at least for me)!!. The winter time will probably be the best time for the install, since you will most likely have the time to do all the work. Take it easy!!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Journeyman

Lightbulb Forgot to mention

As far as the performance parts go....there was one thing where I was wrong:
.....I mentioned that there is no exhaust system available.....there is one available, it is from the CALMINI Products Inc. - Suzuki, Nissan, Isuzu Suspension Systems and Lift Kits website I mentioned previously; it is a 2.25" exhaust system comes with all the hardware needed to install it and comes with a stainless steel tip the price is $299.95. They have a header also, but I am unsure if it's legal to use where you are....it's a ceramic coated header and is a Tri-Y design (great for low end torque when wheeelin'), it come with all hardware and gaskets the pricce is $259.95; they also have a combo kit (both the exhaust and header in one package) the price for it is $519.95 about $80.00 cheaper than buying them separately. As I mentioned I don't know if the header is legal in your area, but here in California it is not, so as far as I know there is no emissions legal header for your vehicle. It is fuel injected, correct?. You can ask your dad if he knows of any shops which flow match injectors; flow matching is a process where the injector is rebuilt and checked for how much fuel it passes, then all injectors will be flow matched to assure equal fuel delivery to each individual cylinder. There is a company called RC Engineering that specializes in this process, they may be reached on their website RC Fuel Injection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engine swap, isuzu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode