89 Trooper - Front will not engage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Isuzu Honda Discussion of all Isuzu, off-road vehicles and clones (Honda).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 03:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

89 Trooper - Front will not engage

I am not familiar with newer imported 4x4's and have a problem with an 89 Trooper:
When shifted into 4-wheel (either 4-H or 4-L) and the Front hubs locked, the Front wheels do not engage.
What are the first things to check to fix the problem?
Is the trans-axle shifted mechanically or electronically from the shifter (ie. could it be a broken cable or bad switch)?
Are the front axles gear- or clutch- driven? Could the problem be low fluid?

By the way, I encountered another problem this morning while dislodging the vehicle from a snowdrift:
The rear tire without traction (driver side, in this case) spun like crazy, but the rear tire with traction (passenger side) did not budge.
I pumped the brakes to try to engage the pass-side wheel without success.
On a previous occassion, I had the opposite problem:
Passenger wheel on ice spun while driver wheel on dry pavement stood still.
What is causing this problem?

It's frustrating having a 4-wheel-drive vehicle with only one-wheel-drive! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Any help with this is appreciated!

*Peace*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 01:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 89 Trooper - Front will not engage

Not knowing a whole lot about Isuzus, heres some basics: The lever that engages the transfer case is probably mechanical, it could need to be adjusted. You probably have an Isuzu corporate 10 bolt IFS front axle using half shafts to a differential pumpkin, low fluid will not cause problems except total failure (ie: can't drive) If you have front hubs that you have to lock by hand it could be an issue inside the mechanisms. The front axle splines (the part where the 4-wheel drive articulates at the wheel) are flimsy -- the gears strip very easily, and the thing's held on with a freaking cotter pin, so that pops out under heavy use and the spline can move around and cause quite an expensive mess
They may have very well been working properly but the rig was unable to generate the torque to push your rig (2.6 four cylinder?)depending on how bad you were wedged.
As far as your rear axle, that is normal. A 4X4 with open diffs (no lockers or posi) is basically only a 2wd. When one side loses traction and spins the other will just stay stuck, thats why most people get a locker or the like when doing alot of wheeling. Some Troopers where equipped with a limited slip rear differential (posi) This is designated by the code G80 on the option ID plate in the engine compartment
Hopefully this points you in a direction, try shifting your rig into 4Lo in a dry parking lot, and turn. If you get binding and it doesn't want to turn stop take it out of 4Lo the front is fine. Good Luck! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 04:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 89 Trooper - Front will not engage

Thanks for the input. It all sounds right-on. I was just hoping for a quick fix.

Actually, I'm just borrowing this 4 cyl 1-wheel drive glorified station wagon while working on my International Traveler's T-case. I sure could have used it's pulling power during this last snow storm, but with these gas prices, I'd probably get stuck in a snow drift because I ran out of gas! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Thanks again for your reply.
* Peace *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode