Off Roading Forums banner

Engines and trannies

6K views 2 replies 0 participants last post by  vdubman 
G
#1 ·
Just a quick one.
Are the 4 banger and V6 engine and trannies interchangeable ? Meaning, can I mount a 2.8 or 3.4 V6 to a I4 gearbox ? Also, is the 3.1 Chevy and the 3.2 Isuzu engine based on the 2.8 ?
Thanks for your help.

G
#2 ·
yes to both atleast for the CHEVY versions i know i have a 88 s10 with the 2.5 1-4 and i put a 2.8 v 6 trans on the 1-4 engine bellhouseing is the same botl pattern and the 3.1/3.2 is based on the 2.8 engine same engine just different stroke i believe and a better bottom end in the 3.1/3.2

G
#3 ·
yes the transmissions will inter change meaning the bolt patterns on the 2.8 and 2.5 are the same. not sure if the 3.4 will work though you will have to measure the bolt spaceing on both the 2.8 and the 3.4. as for youor second question yes the 3.1 and the 2.8 are the same engine. i think the stroke is different on the 3.1
how ever the 3.1 engine has had the corrections done to it that were inherent in the 2.8 for the oiling and spun bearing issue. the 3.2 should be the same as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.