SOA - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SOA

How difficult is it to do "SOA" to a Scout II? How long does it take? How much does it cost if anything? How much lift does it do? Is it worth it? Does it ride as well? Will I be able to fit 33x12.50 tires with just that alone? Sorry about all these questions and thanks if you answer any of them.
Lee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: SOA

Lift springs are probably easier and cheaper. The springover itself isn't that expensive or time consuming, but there are a lot of other things that should be done to do it right that boost the cost, time, and effort - longer shocks and fabrication of new shock mounts, relocation of hard brake lines and/or installation of longer flexible brake lines, new or lengthened driveshafts (possibly with CV joint(s)), twisting the front axle to add caster and to reduce the driveline angle, fabrication of new bump stops, etc. There is also a long list of things that are convenient to replace/upgrade while you're in the neighborhood (spring bushings, u-bolts, etc.) that can boost the cost of the overall operation. I ended up with about 6 1/2" of lift keeping the original springs. If ride were a primary concern I would not have done the springover (this is primarily a trail truck), but I am happy with the ride (though I've twisted the front axle to add caster, replaced all spring bushings, body mount bushings, etc.). I'm very happy with my springover. IMHO, I think a springover (done right) is superior for a truck that is primarily a trail truck, and will be used on difficult trails. For a truck that is used for commuting or primarily on-road, lift springs are probably a better solution.

Hope that helps.

Later,
Curt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 01:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey thanks. I'm glad that people still respond to my questions here...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 09:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I did my SOA on my 79, it didn't cost much (of course, I do have an auto-hobby shop and that greatly reduces costs). I ground and knocked off the perches and had to grind a perch into the diff-case but that's it... Can't remember if I used the original u-bolts or not (I've spares all over the place). True there is a lot of stuff you CAN do while you're under there (twisting the knuckles is a good idea), but you don't absolutely have too. Though, you may want to keep in mind that, at the time, I found the front driveshaft was frozen and didn't want to move at all and before I got THAT fixed, I had already found 3/4-ton axles to put underneath it (never installed them, found the 14 bolt and the 60 Front two days later)... then upgraded to the current 1-ton axles. Was a bit of work but seemed to come out alright in the end.

My Scout is like my website, I'm working on it. 79 IH ScoutII, Anything else is just a 4X4... 345, 1-ton axles, Detroits F/R. 99 F-350 SD, PowerStroke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode