scouts as towing rigs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 01:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

scouts as towing rigs

I'm considering purchasing a relatively large travel-trailer (25-30ft) and was thinking about towing rigs. Is a scout II capable of towing a trailer of that size? what engine, trany, etc. combo is best? do I want a 396 or are there bigger, more capable engines available? What kind of cost am i looking at and does anyone know of lines on scouts in the Flagstaff, AZ vicinity?

thanks,
Charlie Adams

NW montana, 1984 xtracab. dual sidedraft mikunis, header exhaust, possible hi-lift camshaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 12:00 PM

Re: scouts as towing rigs

Just how heavy is the trailer? The Scout II is technically rated to tow only 5000lbs - with an equalizing hitch and brakes.

If I were shopping for a *tow-rig* I would start at the LWB Scout II Traveler or Terra pickup. 118" WB to help cut down on some of the "tail wagging the dog" problems.

If you're not set on a Scout II, you could look at it's bigger brethren - the Travelall and pickups.

I have a '72 Travelall that I use to tow my race Scout II around on my 16' car trailer. It works pretty well, and is setup a lot better than the SII for towing a SII. Mine is only a 1/2T, which is a liability, but I'm taking steps to convert it to a 3/4T setup, and/or just replace it with a short-box 4-door IH 3/4T instead.

The T'all is a full-size truck/wagon (think: Suburban). Mine is 119" WB, open-knuckle, 4x4, 392/auto/NP205. With the factory hydraulic actuated electric trailer brake controller and equalizer hitch, it tows my tandem axle pretty well (particularly now that I put shocks on the Travelall)

It's not too big to drive around town, made an excellent winter vehicle this winter (compared to my locked SII with ratty soft-top and huge air leaks). With 33x12.50s on it I took it fourwheeling a couple times and had NO problems getting it to go anywhere I wanted it to (and I was right behind the locked-up 36" equipped BBronco). The width and length were never a problem wheelin' - and on our Christmas tree run, strapping 3 big trees to the roofrack was a breeze.

You can fold down the rear seat and throw the air-mattress in the back for campin', too.

T'alls came in 3/4T versions which would be an even better tow-rig than any Scout II.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72, '77, '77, '79, '74 Scout IIs
'72 Travelall
'77 SII Traveler-utility-trailer conversion

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 05:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how are international 3/4 tons for rarity/price? you live in helena? I'm from up north in Ronan (S. of flathead lake) do you have any contacts who are trying to get rid of such a rig (or a trailer)? I know a place that has a 4 door international pickup with a propane engine. would this rig be a good idea at all? I dont know if it's a 1/2 or 3/4 ton, tho, how do i find out?

NW montana, 1984 xtracab. dual sidedraft mikunis, header exhaust, possible hi-lift camshaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 05:20 PM

The 3/4Ts are not particularly rare - particularly not in rural Montana! ;-)

I do know someone in Kalispel selling a '71 1/2T 4x4 Travelall. He's asking $3500.

"Bob and Kathy Pendle" [email protected]

I know of the truck in Ronan ('74/75 Propane converted 200 Travelette).. wish I had the cash to buy it, but I don't! *drool* It's a 3/4T (74/75 "200" = 3/4T)

*I* am not ready to spend $3500 on anything at the moment.. I spent $200 to buy the Travelall I drive to work everyday (and tow with). Granted, I put tires and brakes on it, put in a used 392 that I traded some tires/wheels for, and performed a bunch of "used car maintenance".. probably have $1000 tied up in it now.

I'm working on getting a 4-door work-truck at the moment.. shorty crewcab '74 200 2wd to build a bigger tow-rig.

If that falls through, I have a Dana 60 8-lug rear end and 3/4T springs to put into my 1/2T T'all to make me feel more comfortable hauling my 7k-lbs gross trailer setup.

-Tom

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 12:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

do you know how much he's asking for the propane truck? would the propane truck pull okay or are there issues with power from propanes? I'm not particularly familiar with propane engines.
I'm not sure if I'd feel good towing a big ole trailer with a 1/2 ton rig so I dunno about the travelall.
So if it came right down to it, the 392 is a good towing engine? How do internationals compare to say, chevys for durability, cost of fixing, feeding, etc? If i bought a chevy it'd be one with the 454 i think.
say . . . you wouldnt know of a trailer for sale, would you?

Thanks

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 01:39 PM

The Propane rig was $5500+ or so the last I heard..

It's setup for dual fuel, so you could run Propane and if you lacked the power, switch it off to gasoline.. but the propane would be more than adequate for daily use.

Well, as I'm planning to do, a set of 3/4T rear springs and a full-floater Dana 60 can fix the biggest problems of the 1/2T T'all for tow duty. The 1/2T just has too soft of rear springs (mine sits butt-low "empty"), and I'm a little queasy about the semi-floating Dana 44 rear end after losing an axle shaft in my SII while flat-towing another SII.

IMO, the 392 is an industrial truck motor - more so than a 454. I'd take the 392 for longevity and brute-force grunt. I think mileage would be a wash.

The 392 probably costs moreo to rebuild than the Chevy, but it lasts 2x as long or longer. Chevys are generally good for 100k.. IHs were built to go 250k, often even more.

I don't know anyone selling a trailer at the moment.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 12:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmmm . . . $5500, that's a little more than i'm prepared to pay. I'm more into the maybe $1000 range. It doesnt have to be pretty, I just have to know that most of the drivetrain works. I'm willing to do some work on it, as long as it doesnt involve heavily technical drivetrain work (I dont have nearly the experience). You've already been more than helpful, though. If you come across any cheap 3/4 tons or trailers, let me know!

Thank you for your help!
Charlie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode