oddball oil trouble - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 10:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oddball oil trouble

Recently purchased a 1972 Scout II with the 304 engine (little casting pad told me that). I was running the engine at my brothers house after hauling it there on the trailer, I had good oil pressure for a while and then it went to nothing. I scooted under the engine and thumped the oil pan and it sounded empty. I checked the oil previous to running the engine and there was the proper level indicated. While I was under there I could here what sounded like oil dripping into the pan. Could it be that the drain-back passages are mostly blocked? The oil pump pumps the oil into the upper part of the engine and the oil cannot drain back to the pan fast enough and the pump starts sucking air? What do you guys think of this? Ever heard of this before?
If this is what is happening, I would have to think the engine has been damaged from this lack of lubrication.
I have no experience with IH engines, would these drain passages be accessable without disassembling the engine? Removal of the valve covers and the intake wouldn't be a problem but if more extensive disassembly is required...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: oddball oil trouble

IH engines are know for having low oil pressure, yet plently of oil "flow". There are many drain back passages, I would be pretty suprised if that were your "problem". I really don't think you even have a problem. I take it you are reading your oil pressure by the dash gauge at idle, that is when it will be at it's lowest, what is it at 2500 rpm? What is the condition of the oil? Filter? You checked the oil level when the engine was cold? Get it warmed up, shut it off and see what it is after a few minutes. It's pretty easy to mount a pressure gauge onto the engine, with a real gauge you can calibrate your dash gauge. If your engine has been "damaged" due to lack of lub I think you would be hearing some knocking, or having over heating problems.

Good luck and happy trails,
Kent

If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode