Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   IH Scout & Trucks (https://forums.off-road.com/ih-scout-trucks/)
-   -   Electrical Problems (https://forums.off-road.com/ih-scout-trucks/63593-electrical-problems.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 03-29-2001 12:12 PM

Electrical Problems

The fuse for my dome light/horn keeps going out....Everytime a replace it it will work for a while and then it will go out...Also, on my speedometer, when my lights are on, the light goes out on the left half of the speedometer...But the right half works fine...I just give it a couple minutes and it will go back on...
Also, on my gas tank gauge, when I fill the whole tank up it doesn't go all the way to full....Thanks...

Lee

I have two more problems...They aren't really electrical problems, but they are really annoying...Does anybody know how to fix the tailgate squeak problem? Also, I just got my exhaust manifold welded and put on, but there is a weird vibrating sound when I accelerate...Thanks again...

**DONOTDELETE** 03-30-2001 12:33 PM

Re: Electrical Problems

Sounds like your dome/horn fuse is simply pulling too much current or you've got an intermittent short...a wire or connection somewhere that hits the body or some other ground.. Only thing you can really do to chase wires down like that is start digging into the wiring or throw in a larger fuse. I just got my Scout and haven't had to dig into the wiring so I can't be more specific... yet. But, with a diagram, you should be able to find the individual circuit and take a look to find out what's drawing so much amperage.

As for the speedo lights... same sort of thing, except you've got an intermittent open...a connection that keeps coming off. You may be able to get into the dash and check over the connectors, clean them off, brighten them up, and make sure they are solid.

I've the same trouble with my gas guage though, I'm not altogether worried about it, yet. Best thing perhaps for it though is to find a book and see what the limits for the guage are... Should be some sort of electrical value (Maybe resistance maybe voltage) for what is full and what is empty. Then you'll be able to at least diagnose if it's the sender or the guage itself.

Speaking of all this, the only reason I can't give ya straight answers is I don't have a manual that covers IH vehicles... can anyone recommend some?

As for your tailgate squeaking, I'd just grease it. Would work a lot better than oil. Hope that helps,

Kib

My Scout is like my website, I'm working on it. 79 IH ScoutII, Anything else is just a 4X4... 345, SOA, Lincoln Locker. 99 F-350 SD, PS Diesel.