replacing intake gasket, help!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

replacing intake gasket, help!!

I just became the proud new owner of a 72 ScoutII with a 304. The intake gasket is leaking pretty bad and I noticed that there is what looks like a valley pan under the intake manifold. Is there a special gasket for this valley pan?? Is it called the push rod gasket?? The local part stores don't show a valley pan gasket in their computers. Any help would be appreciated.

Ranger

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: replacing intake gasket, help!!

It's called a tappet cover, so it'd be a tappet cover gasket.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 03:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You right, Napa list it also as push rod gasket.
On my first Scout, at the had 5000 miles on it, leaked.
I asked the dealer about replaceing it. He said why it will just leak again. I did replace it. It didn't last a 1000 miles. When you replace it use a lot of this blue form a gasket stuff. It may help to hold it. The dealer said the block and valley pans were not made just right.
good luck

Riolobo...........Nev,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 10:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help guys, this Scout stuff is new to me and this info will help alot!
Does the thing leak mostly on the front and back?? Or on the sides?? It is hard to tell just were the leaks are coming from. When you say use a lot of silicone, do you use it mostly on the front and back or all over??

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 05:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just got done redoing my tappet cover gasket. The problem is that the pan and the block don't seem to line up right. I used alot of blue silicone to make up for this. Hopefully it last longer, I'd like to have my motor rebuilt for more than 5000 miles before I start having leaks.]
LUke
"If it's to loud, you're too old"

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 11:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When you go to use silicone on your cover dont just use blue silicone. Make sure the silicone you use is compatable with motor oil. If the oil attacks it, it will just leak there again and fall into your engine plugging screens and oil passages. Also when you use a bunch make sure it isnt too much, just enough to seal the gap. If you go using too much there is a very good possibility of beads breaking off and falling into your engine. These beads could clog oil pickup screens and oil passages, and bye bye goes your engine. I'm not saying dont ever use silicone, just be aware of what silicone, if used improperly, could do to your engine. Stout Scout

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode