Off Roading Forums banner

Multiple questions on '79

365 views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Multiple questions on \'79

I am currently restoring a 1979 that has not run in over 11 years. It had an aftermarket 33 gal. tank (rusty) which I discarded (I ordered a poly 19 gal.) and with a line to a jerry can and a new fuel pump it started and runs decent. Questions: #1 - When I changed the rear diff fluid, I noticed several of the small spider gears (L/S) had chipped teeth. The ring/pinon looked great, does this indicate an immediate rebuild, or can I nurse it along for a while? #2 - Also it is a CA truck (good body) with emissions equipment. I am moving to FL where a emissions check is not required. I do not mind putting a hi-flow cat on for the "good of the environment," but what about the air pump and the associated hardware plumbed into the head. The right side plumbing is broke, can I safely remove this mess and put plugs in the head? Will it run O.K.? My understanding is that the modern CAT removes over 96% of pollutants, so this old mess is not necessary. #3 - The power steering is really messed up. The P/S pump turns but when I turn the wheel it puts an incredible amount of strain on it and the belt slips. Could the box itself be bad? I have changed out all the old fluids, plan on rebuilding the brake system, new water pump, hoses, tuneup, etc.. Any other advice on an old vehicle that has set up for 11 years? Thanks, Mark

Steve Mcqueen fan.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.