Engine - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
IH Scout & Trucks Discussion of International Harvester, 4-Wheel Drive Truck and Scout Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Engine

Does anybody know where I could find a IH 392 for a good price?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 09:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Engine

Check out junkyards in your area- looking at the bigger IH trucks (loadstars and schoolbus types) will let you find more 392's. Some pickups used them also, you just have to be ready to get down and dirty to find the ID plate on the side of the block. People have been known to buy a '392' that mysteriously transformed into a 345 when they got it home- you can't tell by just looking, especially on the four barrel engines. Exception is with the IC engines; those are 392 only, and the water tubes go from the water pump to the block instead of the heads. If you find one of those, it should definitely be a 392.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 06:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will the ID thing just flat out tell me 392? And how to I tell if it is IC or not?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Right, the ID plate will say 304, 345, 392, whatever the size is. It is kind of behind and in the area of the fuel pump, and isn't very big- haven't really checked for mine, I pretty much know what I have. The IC 392 has the water pipes from the water pump going to the block instead of to the heads like all the other IH's did. From what I have heard, you can't put 345 heads on an IC 392, but you can on the earlier non-IC models. There again, if it is an older model, it will look 'identical' to a 345, so you are back to hunting for the ID stamp to make sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode